First mopar intake swap.

-

4DrSwingr

Reaction score
So tonight after work I decided to start a carb and intake upgrade on my 74 dart 318, this is a first for me. So far everything has been going as expected, the only thing I kinda foresee is an issue with the stock accelerator linkage. I’m hoping it will reach, has anyone got some wisdom they can share. I’m going from a stock bbl and cast intake to an Edelbrock sp2p and a 600cfm edel 4bbl. Thanks in advance for any help.

U need the 4bbl throttle bracket and the top linkage rod. I think Mancini Racing sells what u need. Their a Mopar dealer. Kim

You need the Edelbrock 1481 Chrysler throttle lever adapter and somebody how to explain how to get it all to work.

And DO NOT run it without the kickdown to the transmission connected if it's an automatic. It will burn the transmission up in short order without it. It must be connected and adjusted correctly.

I’m going to salvage all the linkage parts I can from the original bbl, it looks pretty straight forward. I really appreciate all the advice. Thanks again. Will update when I’m done. Or stuck, lol.

There is a dowel pin in the China wall

The factory used it to align the intake with the block

Most of us pull that pin and throw it out, because if the new intake doesn't have the hole for it, or it doesn't like up perfectly it will never seal, or worse, crack as you bolt it down

What is you game plan for the gaskets ?

Yeah it has the pins front and back, I tried pulling them with no luck so I’ll most likely cut them off. I have a gasket kit with he steel crush style head gaskets, it came with cork for both ends but from what research I e done most guys just use the black permatex. That’s my plan so far. This is where I’m at. Hopefully after work I can get it wrapped up.

IMG_7813.jpeg

cutting the pins is an option, but removing them is better (no chance of shavings making it down into the block)
so i would suggest getting a pair of vise grips on them, or perhaps applying some heat

sounds like you know what to do with the china walls

one more thing to keep in mind, the aftermarket intakes dont always play nice with the valve covers
on my duster, i cut back the intake, so i know all valve covers will work, but some people clearance the covers instead (and some, dont have any issues)

here is a random pic i found showing the issue area

1724160917418.png

If your valve covers hit the intake just put 2 valve cover gaskets on each side. You might need bolts that are a little longer. It worked for me and no mods to the intake or valve covers. Good luck. Bobby

I’m sure there will be a few dry-fits and a little trim here and there, I really appreciate every bit of advice. One other thing though, last night when I removed the old intake manifold some of the antifreeze made it down into the lifter galley. Can I safely assume the oil is contaminated and go ahead with flushing and changing the oil? I tried my best to soak up what I could see but my luck it would be a bit made it to the pan.

If your valve covers hit the intake just put 2 valve cover gaskets on each side. You might need bolts that are a little longer. It worked for me and no mods to the intake or valve covers. Good luck. Bobby
I honestly hate these valve covers. From the get-go the fit sloppy but the cherry on top was that the inside baffles were too low and actually contacted the rockers. On both side. When I found out I pulled the valve train rods and lifters and scoured for any metal bits but nothing to be found.

There are a couple thicker valve cover gaskets, .313 thick. Felpro and SCE both have them. I'll get the part numbers posted later.

It's an SP2P intake.......I'd grind the tops of the runners down and smooth them out if the valve covers hit. I had to do that surgery on my Weiand 8007 that I put on my 273. If I didn't tell anyone, 99% of the people would never notice.

Only reason for that intake is because this is my daily driver in the warm months. That and I’m not gonna do cam, crank, heads or headers for awhile. I think it’ll liven the old beast up nicely.

Yeah it has the pins front and back, I tried pulling them with no luck so I’ll most likely cut them off. I have a gasket kit with he steel crush style head gaskets, it came with cork for both ends but from what research I e done most guys just use the black permatex. That’s my plan so far. This is where I’m at. Hopefully after work I can get it wrapped up.

View attachment 1716291975
Get a pair of side cutters, grab the pin and just pry them out. They'll come right out. Do it like you're pulling a nail out of a piece of wood. They come right out.

And DO NOT run it without the kickdown to the transmission connected if it's an automatic. It will burn the transmission up in short order without it. It must be connected and adjusted correctly.
So the manifold and most components are all back together but the throttle linkages are the next big issue.

IMG_7818.jpeg

-
Back