First start up timing question

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
Well a little back round I got blow up in Afghanistan had a bad t.b.i. So my brain works weird now to my question

A 318 motor I found tdc now can someone plz plz walk me thru step by step what to do to get the car started. Books aren't helping. I just need someone to walk me thru..where the rotar is pointing is that number 1.. I'm just confused my pops always did the tuning , I did the wrenching ..he lives far now I'm just confused..thanks guys I'm a little slow but I was always taught any question is never a dumb question

Sorry to hear about your experience, thank you for your service, you should get an answer from other members shortly...BTW, no such thing as a dumb question....

I just didn't want to sound slow, I gave a little background info

OK, when the timing marks are "up" this can either be no1 or no6 ready to fire. There are two ways to get it right, IE get the distributor in on the correct 1/2 turn, so it's not "180 off" This will cause violent backfiring through the carb.

1....If you happen to have either valve cover off, look carefully at either no1 or no6 valves with the timing marks at TDC. One or the other set of valves will be closed, and on the other cylinder, both will be nearly equally open. You can get fooled by this so you must look carefully.

If for example, no6 valves are closed, and the rotor is point to no1, then the dist. is 180 off or 1/2 turn off. You can either pull the dist. and turn it 1/2 turn, or cheat and put the no6 wire where the rotor points.

2....The second way is to pull the no1 plug, stick your finger in the hole, and bump the starter. This is easily done on Mopars by jumpering a screwdriver across the two large exposed terminals on the starter relay. You might have to go 'round a couple of times. Once you JUST START to feel compression, start to look for the marks which should be coming up directly. DO NOT set the marks on TDC, but rather, "about where" you want the timing set. I would estimate about 15 degrees BTC or if a dead stock 318, maybe 10-12 BTC.

Now with the marks at that point, and you've checked for compression, you now know that no1 is ready to fire. Now just look where the rotor points, and carefully take the cap on/ off to confirm which wire tower the rotor points to. Make sure the dist. is sitting so you have some "swing room" on the vacuum advance so you can adjust it.

Rotate the dist. so the points just barely open, or if breakerless, so that the tip of the reluctor is in the center of the pickup coil. Now just plug the no1 wire into that plug tower, where the rotor points, and wire it up. It should start with no fuss at all

If you have the engine at TDC:

Remove the distributor cap and notice where the rotor is pointing. It should point straight to #1 cylinder spark plug. Then turn the distributor slightly to give it a few degrees of advance. Then try to start it and then set it with a timing mark. this should give you enough timing to get it started, you want a few degrees advance to start with...

Thanks for your service.

Karl , you and I both know, the rotor can be pointing to Siberia , as long as its firing the number one cylinder at the cap. you never know whos been in there playing with drive gear LOL

Thank you very much!!!!!!! Ill fool with it and let u guys know how it goes

Karl , you and I both know, the rotor can be pointing to Siberia , as long as its firing the number one cylinder at the cap. you never know whos been in there playing with drive gear LOL

Exactly. That's why I said find tdc and then pull off the cap and see where the rotor is. Then make sure that your rotor is pointing at that terminal and then give it a slight advance.

You are right, the tdc position can end up anywhere. In that case, once you have found tdc, find out where on the distributor the rotor is pointing, then make that #1 cylinder for the distributor cap, then follow the firing order around in the direction of spin for the distributor to set the rest....

-
Back