First swap, what should I expect?

-

Valiantknight

Reaction score
Got offered a free engine from a 75 dodge d200 custom by a buddy of mine looking to clear some space. It's got a 360 but I have no idea what kind of tranny is in it. It's got a clutch but also has a column shifter? Real oddball. Hoping for tips and insight. Looking to squeeze it into a 70 valiant.

Three speed column shifted manual transmission sounds like. Common to trucks and vans. So if you currently have an automatic trans equipped vehicle, you would have to do a complete changeover to run the manual trans setup.

OK! Your ‘70 Valiant, what engine, trans & rear end is in it now?
The 360 engine your getting, does it come with and do you want to use the manual trans.

Got offered a free engine from a 75 dodge d200 custom by a buddy of mine looking to clear some space. It's got a 360 but I have no idea what kind of tranny is in it. It's got a clutch but also has a column shifter? Real oddball. Hoping for tips and insight. Looking to squeeze it into a 70 valiant.

Most likely you won't want the three speed transmission, I wouldn't. You will need a 360 car oil pan and pick up, a pair of car 340/360 motor mounts or modify a 318 drivers side and a set of car manifolds or headers. If you're running an auto a B&M 360 neutral balance flex plate is the simplest. You may need a transmission too if you're running a /6 currently.

Keep all the truck specific parts off the 360, someone will want it.

I don't think you can use the bell housing, "too big" for an A. Same with flywheel which is larger dia than passenger car ones. You need to change the pan from rear to front sump. I don't think the exhaust manifolds will work, although pass one might.

So far as the 3 speed determine "what it is" (post photos, numbers) and I'm sure you can do a floor shift.

You will need different engine brackets, not the truck ones

WHAT IS in your car now? If it's a 6 you'll need a different K member or modify that one, or use "swap" mounts, which lately are kinda ?not? ?maybe? available.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I havent had a chance to run back by to check out the truck but I forgot 3 on the tree manuals existed. As for what's in the valiant right now it's your basic /6 with A904 and I think a 71/4 rear end if I remember correctly. Small bolt pattern front disks rear drums. If I'm reading evrything correctly I'm gonna need a different k-frame mounts, possibly a tranny , oil pan, oil pickup, headers. Was hoping to keep it an auto but I'm not entirely against cutting a hole in the floor I just didn't want to have to source a new column and I don't know how hard it is to set up a clutch in the valiant. I was thinking an auto 727 transmission but I've got to find one and idont know if I'll need different linkage to make it work on my current column.

Last edited:
-
Back