First tattoo (help me?)

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I have a great basic idea of what I want. a piston cross. i want it to be a religious style cross though. not a typical piston cross. with Mopar "M"'s on the ends of the pistons somehow. and maybe even mopar writtin within it. also my Grandfathers name in it somehow. i'm not sure of what it'll look like though. any good artists willing to draw up a quick sketch of something?

i'll attach a pic, but its not quite what i want, i'm not sure what i want different about this one though. I want it to be a litte bit beefier of pistons though..

also, i'll be getting it on the outside of my bicep, or possibly back of my shoulder. i'm leaning towards outter arm though..

thanks for any/all input and ideas! much appreciated..

how about a celtic cross style but instead of the pattern inlay, use the pistons.

like this
Celtic_Cross_Tat_for_Kris_by_purplepixi.jpg

the artist will def help you figure it out, especially if they hadn't done it before...they like new stuff thats not over done. unlike nautical stars, fairies and the boondocks saint cross or prayer.

how about a celtic cross style but instead of the pattern inlay, use the pistons.

the artist will def help you figure it out, especially if they hadn't done it before...they like new stuff thats not over done. unlike nautical stars, fairies and the boondocks saint cross or prayer.

not sure exactly how i'd use the pistons INSTEAD of the pattern inlay..but i can sorta see it. i'm not a very artistic person at all. so it doesn't help the process.

and i know that the artist will help me. i'm just leary of paying somebody to start drawing it up. because if I end up not liking whatever they draw up, i'll end up paying for a drawing that I don't even like. I know that if I DO end up getting the tattoo through that artist though, that they wont charge for drawing it up..

and yes. I like my idea and its unique. I hope that I can find an artist who can help me out! i'm asking around between family/friends/coworkers to see if anybody can help me sketch something up

Take that pic to your artist along with a description of what you want and he/she will be able to draw something up. If they can't then you should probably find a better artist. They will also take a tracing of the are that you want the piece so they will know what they have to work with.

DON'T just randomly pick a shop! Any good artist will have a portfolio of their work and you can hang out at the shop and watch them work.

I love my mopars but I also don't want to be a walking billboard for some company so I have no blue M on my body. Just something to think about.

Take that pic to your artist along with a description of what you want and he/she will be able to draw something up. If they can't then you should probably find a better artist. They will also take a tracing of the are that you want the piece so they will know what they have to work with.

DON'T just randomly pick a shop! Any good artist will have a portfolio of their work and you can hang out at the shop and watch them work.

I love my mopars but I also don't want to be a walking billboard for some company so I have no blue M on my body. Just something to think about.

thanks for that point to ponder. i'm going to keep the Mopar small. and i know i'm only 19 years old, i love my mopars though, and could NEVER see myself goin to any other car brand. I agree about not being a walking billboard though.

i know alot of people with tattoos, i'll have to ask around for referalls to good artists, as well as just go around and check out different shops

so they will take an "outline" of my arm?

thanks for that point to ponder. i'm going to keep the Mopar small. and i know i'm only 19 years old, i love my mopars though, and could NEVER see myself goin to any other car brand. I agree about not being a walking billboard though.

i know alot of people with tattoos, i'll have to ask around for referalls to good artists, as well as just go around and check out different shops

so they will take an "outline" of my arm?

Let the artist do his work. he really doesnt take an outline of your arm, he will make something that'll fit in the space alloted that you like
Atleast thats how I have seen it done

Let the artist do his work. he really doesnt take an outline of your arm, he will make something that'll fit in the space alloted that you like
Atleast thats how I have seen it done

makes sense. guess I need to just get in there and get it done..thanks

They will take some tracing paper and make an outline of the area so they will know exactly how big the piece should be.

I'm not trying to change your mind on the mopar thing but you can never say you will never own any other brand. I said the same thing when I was younger and now I am drifting away from Darts and mopar body styles. You never know, just remember (as cheesy as it sounds) that any tattoo you get will be on you forever.

They will take some tracing paper and make an outline of the area so they will know exactly how big the piece should be.

I'm not trying to change your mind on the mopar thing but you can never say you will never own any other brand. I said the same thing when I was younger and now I am drifting away from Darts and mopar body styles. You never know, just remember (as cheesy as it sounds) that any tattoo you get will be on you forever.

thanks for that..luckily, the main part that will stick out (basic piston design) will be 'generic'. or universal. anyone knows what a piston is. i'll remember where I got my start though. the first cars and engines that I ever build/painted

another question I have for everyone, there is no specific design of Mopar pistons compared to other pistons right? there is no obvious way to tell pistons between a mopar vs a chevy vs a ford? nothing that will show in a tattoo right?

i hope that last question doesn't sound too stupid**

I'll jump in here, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!... Check out shops and artists...ASK ??...But dont be rude. Like "Are you any good?"..Dont rely on word of mouth...Alot of people dont know a good tattoo from a bad one.Like alot of guys have said look at the artist portfolio...Make sure they are legit...Dont know the laws there but here shops must be licensed and inspected by the health dept. Figure out where you want to put it on your body...That can effect things like healing...and design.Decide if you want Color or Black and grey. Modern Colors stay bright and vivid if done corectly. Dont try to fit 10 pounds of **** in a two pound bag. A common mistake made by patrons and artist is doin tattoos to small...you cannot fit a bunch of detail in a small tattoo....it will blurr together and look like **** in a few yrs...Trust me! A good artist doesnt really need to trace your body parts ,but may want to if you have a desired size in mind. Research about healing caracteristics...like what to expect while your healing...No swimming...no prolonged exposure to water... typical oozing. It happens. Research ...Research..research!!

I'll jump in here, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!... Check out shops and artists...ASK ??...But dont be rude. Like "Are you any good?"..Dont rely on word of mouth...Alot of people dont know a good tattoo from a bad one.Like alot of guys have said look at the artist portfolio...Make sure they are legit...Dont know the laws there but here shops must be licensed and inspected by the health dept. Figure out where you want to put it on your body...That can effect things like healing...and design.Decide if you want Color or Black and grey. Modern Colors stay bright and vivid if done corectly. Dont try to fit 10 pounds of **** in a two pound bag. A common mistake made by patrons and artist is doin tattoos to small...you cannot fit a bunch of detail in a small tattoo....it will blurr together and look like **** in a few yrs...Trust me! A good artist doesnt really need to trace your body parts ,but may want to if you have a desired size in mind. Research about healing caracteristics...like what to expect while your healing...No swimming...no prolonged exposure to water... typical oozing. It happens. Research ...Research..research!!
thanks! all good things I will look into. I love swimming and bein out in the sun. this is why i am going to get my tattoo during fall/winter time. where I wont b out in the sun wearing cut-off tshirts. I've got my mind made up on a black and grey tattoo. and dont want anything too detailed. just simple, and including a few things..i might be able to get away with just one mopar 'M' in the middle of the cross or something. not too sure. in your opinion, does what i want seem like too much detail?

Nope seems pretty easy..If I get the time this week(if you not in a big hurry) I will do some research on shops there and artists and try to get you in touch with the right people.Another thing is more and more shops require a deposit on drawings ( I do) So if i get the time I will sit down and sketch somthin out for a fellow mopar guy...LOL

Nope seems pretty easy..If I get the time this week(if you not in a big hurry) I will do some research on shops there and artists and try to get you in touch with the right people.Another thing is more and more shops require a deposit on drawings ( I do) So if i get the time I will sit down and sketch somthin out for a fellow mopar guy...LOL
yes. thats one thing that i'm worried about is paying the deposit to an artist at a shop, and then not being happy with the drawing. i have seen that the shops around here do charge deposits for drawing.. that would be awesome if you cold sketch something out. i'm not in a super rush at all. I have wanted this tattoo for years though, and i'm finally ready to get it. i'd GREATLY appreciate if you could get me in touch with the right people around here.

one place i'm looking at is http://www.wild-bills.com/ they are one of the bigger shops in the area..with 10 full time artists.. radio announcements all of the time. i've just never actually went in there yet

Heres a little sketch I did messin around today...Added the flames for some movement.The shading turned out a little flat after I scanned it but ....**shrugs**

Heres a little sketch I did messin around today...Added the flames for some movement.The shading turned out a little flat after I scanned it but ....**shrugs**
thanks for that! looks awesomeee. not sure about the flames, although it does definitely add something. i'm pretty bummed though...a friend of a friend heard that i was getting ready to get this tattoo, and he contacted me and said that his brother pretty much had the same tattoo..his just doesn't have anything mopar on it. and ALSO, his is a tribute to his dad. he has his name on the top piston, and his birthdate-deathdate on the bottom piston :/ the whole reason i wanted this tattoo was because of the originality...

i loved the idea that i'd have a cross, a piston, and a memorial for my grandfather all in one..

so i don't know if I want to get it. i've had my mind set for a while that i wanted it. somebody else beat me to the idea tho..at the same time though, my idea was genuine...hmmm

here is the pic that i was sent of the brother of a friend of a friend...:

About 20 years ago, a female social friend asked me to design a tattoo for her. She wanted a sword with a snake coiled around the blade on her upper inner thigh. I did the drawing for her.

About one month later, she stopped by the house. She asked me if I would like to see the tattoo. I said, "sure." Well, she unzipped her jeans and dropped them to the floor. To this day, I cannot accurately describe the tattoo as my eyes were focused elsewhere. :shock:

About 20 years ago, a female social friend asked me to design a tattoo for her. She wanted a sword with a snake coiled around the blade on her upper inner thigh. I did the drawing for her.

About one month later, she stopped by the house. She asked me if I would like to see the tattoo. I said, "sure." Well, she unzipped her jeans and dropped them to the floor. To this day, I cannot accurately describe the tattoo as my eyes were focused elsewhere. :shock:

lol.........

def keep in mind that a tat is forever. i have quite a few and dome i would rather not have now..

def keep in mind that a tat is forever. i have quite a few and dome i would rather not have now..

Thats the reason I don't have one. Cant think of any thing I would want on me Forever. Well mabby a naked chick. Things change and rearange but naked chicks are forever=P~

Just an update..I will be getting the tattoo saturday! I went into a local shop that i've heard nothing but great things from. The sacramento kings(NBA team) have alot of players who go to this shop as well. they seem like a real professional studio.

I looked through about 10 portfolios of different artists, and one guy stuck out, because he has done alot of gray/black artwork, and they all looked very detailed and the shading looked awesome. I set up an appointment to meet the guy and have a consoltation, I was VERY happy when he immediately told me that he was a mopar gearhead too. he owns a duster, i forger what year. He immidiately recognized the hemi pistons in the little thing that lycandart drew me up. I had the guy draw me up something, he will have the drawing done by friday, and I will go check it out. He's also going to do some research about the exact angles ont he domes and make sure everything is to spec for the mopars back then. he was real nice though, and isn't charging an art deposit. He said a flat price of 200 for the tattoo. which seems like a good price to me..

also, i will be getting my grandfathers name in the connecting rod(where normally it would say forged in USA or something like that)

-
Back