First time at the track results

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Drove the Val down to Homestead speedway today for their TNT. Had a blast, aside from running a 4.30 spool back and forth on the turnpike 30 miles at 3500RPM.

So. All street trim, mufflers, 235 radials. 1/8 Mile.
Best time:
86.53 MPH
2.141 60 ft
0.443 reaction time

I have zero traction and spin the tires through first and into second. Ran it 3 times and it got hot. Let it cool off and ran a 4th time and I think I popped an exhaust gasket. Called it a night and drove back home. I think I'll try drag radials next time.

Sounds pretty good for a Street car but your asking for trouble running a spool on the street.

Just my 2cents and that and another $9.98 will getcha a cup of coffee.

Attachments

• senior-planet-awkward-family-photos-baby.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 705
Yeah I've read all the pros and cons about a spool on the street and the jury is still out IMO. Regardless, the car only gets driven once a month so I'm not too concerned but at some point (soon) I'll swap it out for a sure-grip unit.

I don't see a problem running a spool on the street....I have been doing it for years.....it's not a big deal. Just my opinion as someone that has been there, done that, and is still doing that.

Yeah I hear ya,
Was only thinking about the Safety factor if a rapid steering maneuver was required due to road or traffic conditions.

Drove the Val down to Homestead speedway today for their TNT. Had a blast, aside from running a 4.30 spool back and forth on the turnpike 30 miles at 3500RPM.

So. All street trim, mufflers, 235 radials. 1/8 Mile.
Best time:
86.53 MPH
2.141 60 ft
0.443 reaction time

8.40 ain't bad at all.

MPH looks low

60 ft looks a tad low (or high as the case may be).

>.5 Reaction time = good

I think my 360 Duster with 3.23s ran 9.20 at 90 MPH with a .5 tree minimal spinning though after deflating rear tires to 15 psi.

Looks to me like a little tweaking and you're gonna' have a rocket.

As far as the spool, it can be streeted, I just hope you have aftermarket axles in it...

As far as your outing today, the only number that rings true is the 86.5mph. You've got tons of power with no bite. That's where I'd go first, Tires/suspension...

I ran a few cars in that same boat many moons ago and a "traction device" + slicks actually dropped the et 1.3 seconds in the 1/4.

You have a nice car, just a little work to be done. The best part is, you're getting out to the track and having fun.....that's really what it's all about. :)

Nice going. Just start working on that traction thing,watch those E.T.'s drop.

Nice going. Just start working on that traction thing,watch those E.T.'s drop.

ran a spool on the street in a hot 406 engine vega, w/ 14.5 x 32`s on it. just be careful and not take curve s at speed when it`s wet, and don`t get on it in a turn!--just my 2 cents---bob

Thanks for the feedback guys. The rearend is built. 35 spline Mosers with the spool and street manners aren't too bad with the skinny radials. It's actually pretty easy to maneuver. I wouldn't autocross it though and I baby it on the street.

I think I'm going to try drag radials on the next outing. My rear suspension is all stock slant six springs and cheap shocks that are on the stiffer side. It feels stable and goes straight. At some point I may invest in a better suspension but I'd like to see what I can squeeze out of it as it sits right now. I could put the slant torsion bars back in and maybe get some better weight shift at launch. I think the car has the potential to get into the mid 12s in the quarter.

X2

84 MPH can get you in the mid to upper 7s in the 1/8.

Yep, 84 is high 12's area in the 1/4 with decent pull.

There's a TON of time in the front suspension. I'd put a good shock on the rear.

Made some big improvements with the drag radials tonight.
8.09 at 86.9 MPH
Still more in it. I'm spinning hard out of the hole still. Vid of my last run.
The white car is my POS. That black thing in the other lane is a Chevy golf cart or something slow. Didn't get much of a chance to check his car out.

[ame]http://youtu.be/r2kF-VKZTm4[/ame]

Get that starting line figured out and it's got at least another 2 tenths in it.

Good improvement!

I don't see a problem running a spool on the street....I have been doing it for years.....it's not a big deal. Just my opinion as someone that has been there, done that, and is still doing that.

Just swapped mine to a spool. Two days of street driving and I can't tell the difference.

As far as the spool, it can be streeted, I just hope you have aftermarket axles in it...

Why aftermarket axles?

As far as your outing today, the only number that rings true is the 86.5mph. You've got tons of power with no bite. That's where I'd go first, Tires/suspension...

I ran a few cars in that same boat many moons ago and a "traction device" + slicks actually dropped the et 1.3 seconds in the 1/4.

You have a nice car, just a little work to be done. The best part is, you're getting out to the track and having fun.....that's really what it's all about. :)[/QUOTE

You need to heat those drag radials up a LOT better then in that video for them to work..

Made some big improvements with the drag radials tonight.
8.09 at 86.9 MPH
Still more in it. I'm spinning hard out of the hole still. Vid of my last run.
The white car is my POS. That black thing in the other lane is a Chevy golf cart or something slow. Didn't get much of a chance to check his car out.

http://youtu.be/r2kF-VKZTm4

Subcom,that's one hell of an improvement ! Very nice.

Why aftermarket axles?[/QUOTE

6pk, to address that question? The inside axle takes a ton of abuse on turns while dragging the inside tire along.

As far as using a stock axle.....
Race only with limited slow speed turns...maybe? As long as the sanctioning body doesn't find out...lol! There's a reason why they require aftermarket units with a spool???
On the street with 40/50yr old pieces...no way I'd attempt it. Might take a while, but at some point, they will fail.

I streeted a 4.56 12 Bolt GM with Strange pieces & a C clip eliminator for about a month before I decided it wasn't worth it and went back to a 4.10 "Posi" I had...lol. :)

Kinda reminds me when I streeted Cragar Super Tricks.....It can be done, but boy it's really pushing the limit...imo.

If you get that thing to transfer weight it will be in the 7's easy. My old suspension consisted of saggy stock springs, a pinion snubber, and Competition Engineering shocks on the front and rear. The front was set on 90/10, the rear was 50/50. The picture in my sig (from back in 2007) was using this set up...1.49 60' times on Hoosier QTP tires....it is a cheap way to make it hook.

I currently have the full Caltrac set up with Hoosier DR's and it goes 1.43-1.45 60' times.

Looked like it hit pretty good once you stopped spinning. I bet there's a lot still left there.

The car doesn't look like it transfers at all. There is a ton of time locked in the front end of cars. I'd lower the front if possible at least 1" and see how it responds. Loose shocks 90-10 would help.

Check the current rear shocks to make sure they are long enough. The separation and almost dead stop look like a potential shock length issue.

Have you changed the way you launch the car. It may like leaving closer to idle.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys. Looking at the vid in slow mo I thought it lifted pretty good in the front and squatted in the back. A buddy who was at the starting line thought the same but there may be more in it with some adjustments like crackedback said. I do have v8 tbars in it and they are turned up high just so I can get out of my neighborhood without leaving chunks of header on the speed bumps. Also I think I was launching around 2500. Might try launching a little lower next outing. It's all trial and error but I'm having a blast in the process.

-
Back