First Time Going To Columbus Mopar Nats

-

Carpainter

Reaction score
Okay, my son and I are taking our 74 Duster to the Mopar Nats for the first time. Does anyone out there have any tips on what to do and how to do it? We are getting there Thursday and taking the car thru race tech then we really don't know what to do after that. Any help is appreciated.

Be sure to go to Heath at night. They have a great street show there. Get there early for a good parking spot. There is no way I can tell you what is best I like the swap meet and car corral best next to the street thing in Heath. Drags are great also. Shoot its all good. hope you have a great time. This will be the first time ive missed in 7 years. (helping my son build a new house). We take a cooler and keep it in the car, just to save money. Have a good one.

I've been going since 1983. I think the only years I missed is when it moved out of Col. temporarily.

Prepare for the heat; bring a cooler, chairs, sun block, hat, and a shade structure if you can. If not, sometimes you can meet up with people who will share their shade. I try to wear a white to hopefully stay a little cooler. (Sorry FABO, my only FABO shirt is black) When I don't have a car entered, I usually just go on Saturday and typically spend ALL day going through the swap and car corral and miss out on seeing most of the show cars and drags. But that's just me.

Saturday is the big day, Friday is OK and Sunday is the least attended cause it's a travel day. Pay attention to the schedule, sometimes there are special track events scheduled like pro stocks, fuel cars, or wheelstanders. Oh yeah, and the obligatory burn-out contest. There is a souvenir tent on the midway to pick up your T-shirts and junk like that.

The track closes at 6PM but a lot of people start pulling out before then. Used to be Brice Rd was the place to go in the evenings, still is, but it seems more cars show up in the town of Heath as already mentioned. Less hassle from the donut-chasers.

I have my 68 entered this year mostly because the Dakota R/T club is having their National meet there so my son (98 Dak R/T) and I are caravanning together. He's been going since he was about 3 years old.

Have fun! There are a lot worse things in life than spending a couple days at the track watching Mopars tear it up.

How do you know where to "set up shop" so to speak? I plan on going through race tech first then finding a spot to park the car and set up my canopy. Is it just hunt and find a spot?

-
Back