first time installing pans and quarters questions

-

Chris67Cuda

67 Cuda
Reaction score
hey guys thanks in advanced for the help! finally the floor pans (including 4 speed hump :cheers: ) and the 2 quarters are in. I got a few quarts of the por15 as well. i am confident the welding part will be no problem. What i am worried about it the finishing part. should i paint the back of the quarters before installing them? how about floor pans? once i get the floor pans installed i figured i would sand everything down one last time the new and old floors and put a good coat of por15 over the whole thing. sound like a good idea? or do one of you more experienced guys have a better way? ANY tips and tricks will help :)

Im doing this now on my Scamp. Already done the floor. It is a chore but not to bad once you get into things. Have a few spot weld cutters on hand. Assorted hammers, pry bars, chisels. I used self tapping screws to hold my floor down till I got it where I needed it. I didnt coat the back of my quarters I did do the underside of the floor pans. I also did mine with epoxy primer I did go with the POR 15. Are they full quarters or skins?

POR 15 stinks when your trying to weld through it. Just a thought. Why burn it off. Wait till your done welding. JMO.
Small Block

I'm doing my floors right now too. My plan is to use Rust Bullet when they're all in.
They have a combo pack that gives you the regular siler coating and then a black chassis paint also.

Ted

POR15 is designed to "Paint Over Rust." Use epoxy primer on the new metal then paint if desired. Do this after the metal is installed otherwise you'll be doing it again when the welding burns the primer/paint.

just quarter skins. what is the best brand epoxy primer you guys have used? This is just something I want to do once and never again :) I am only 22 so this needs to last until it gets passed on atleast :) would epoxy primer on the new stuff and por on the existing stuff work ok? what top coat could i use then that would adhere to them both? i guess with the por15 you have to spray primer on it while its still wet to get paint to ever stick? sorry with the million questions guys! i have been reading forums and just want to make sure I have everything straight. Underneath I am thinking I am going to go with the por15 the whole way as I have talked to a few people who say it is great. any opinions on that vs undercoating or just painting? again, thanks guys for the help!!!!

and the worse part of all...i go in circles with what I want to do! everyone has their own way I guess haha. I think I am just going to get the floors all welded in. Sand down the floors from firewall to trunk with some 80 grit sandpaper and the ole orbital sander. then ill brush on the por15. underneath the same thing plus some wire wheeling and alot more hours then add the chassis black coat overtop since its UV resistant too. I am going to paint the wheel wells as well. anyone see a problem with this method?? :)

-
Back