First trip to the US

-

trebor75

Reaction score
As I turned 40 my friends had all came together to get me tickets to go to the US. Pretty awesome friends :) Me and my girlfriend will be flying to San Francisco mid September. We'll be staying there for 5 days and then drive the Pacific Highway 1 to LA and stay there another week. I've toured all over Europe with my music but I have never been to the US before so I'm excited! Some of you know me and my Duster from this great forum since a long time ago so you know I'm into mopars.

I'm thinking you might have suggestions for us to visit, see along the way. I really like nature, cars and music. I was thinking I might pick up a few parts for the Duster so any info on places to go shopping would be awesome.

It's too bad your only spending time in "commiefornia" there are MUCH better section of the U.S.A. to visit thats for sure!!!

It's too bad your only spending time in "commiefornia" there are MUCH better section of the U.S.A. to visit thats for sure!!!

True, but if your going to a new place you might as well see the shittiest part first and get it over with. :D

Seriously though, the hiway 1 drive kicks butt.
I have done it in cars and on motorcycles both from the Oregon coast all the way down to Santa Barbara and it was a blast every time.
Be sure to check out Monterey when you go through.
Cambria is also nice.
Driving the coast line eats up more time that you expect it to though.

First, before flying to San Francisco get online and reserve tour tickets for Alcatraz (Alcatraz Tickets & Tours - Visit San Francisco's Famous Prison)
If you're set on driving down Hwy 1 along the coast then I'd definitely recommend the following:
* Hearst Castle in San Simeon (Home - Hearst Castle)
* Monterey Bay Aquarium (Monterey Bay Aquarium – Official Site)
* Big Sur (Big Sur California, Lodging, Camping Tourism Information

But if you want to see some truly remarkable nature and scenery, I'd drive south another way and visit both Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Park. You won't be disappointed.
* Yosemite (Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service))
* Sequoia (Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (U.S. National Park Service))

What dates are you going to be in the Los Angeles/Orange County area?

Be sure to visit Venice Beach. Great people watching (lots of characters of all types) & there are open air cafe's. Roller blades & the like can also be rented if you are so inclined.

Watching the different street artists & various performers is all part of the experience.

Lots of vendors for t-shirts & the like also.

Great place to ditch the shoes & walk barefoot in the surf.

A Mopar 'Must visit' is SF is Stu. He is a member on Moparts, great guy & he loves to entertain. If you can not get your sword into the US through customs, he may issue one to you. Very cool dude.

just one thing to keep in mind, the US is huge
I have family or friends come over from Europe from time to time, and they look at a map and say "lets drive from Niagara falls to mount Rushmore today"
and they don't realize that even though its only 22 inches on a map, it is 22 hours in a car, because 22 inches on their maps is generally 2 hours

-- First, before flying to San Francisco get online and reserve tour tickets for Alcatraz (Alcatraz Tickets & Tours - Visit San Francisco's Famous Prison)
If you're set on driving down Hwy 1 along the coast then I'd definitely recommend the following:

But if you want to see some truly remarkable nature and scenery, I'd drive south another way and visit both Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Park. You won't be disappointed.

What dates are you going to be in the Los Angeles/Orange County area? --
-- These are Great suggestions.

True, but if your going to a new place you might as well see the shittiest part first and get it over with. :D

Seriously though, the hiway 1 drive kicks butt.
I have done it in cars and on motorcycles both from the Oregon coast all the way down to Santa Barbara and it was a blast every time.
Be sure to check out Monterey when you go through.
Cambria is also nice.
Driving the coast line eats up more time that you expect it to though.

We are taking two days for the drive. Monterey and Cambria = check

First, before flying to San Francisco get online and reserve tour tickets for Alcatraz (Alcatraz Tickets & Tours - Visit San Francisco's Famous Prison)

What dates are you going to be in the Los Angeles/Orange County area?

Thanks! We have booked Alcatraz so far. Thanks for the other suggestions and links. That is just the stuff I'm after! I've seen a lot of documentaries on Yosemite and I really want to experience it. My girlfriend is really set on the Pacific Highway 1 though.

Be sure to visit Venice Beach. Great people watching (lots of characters of all types) & there are open air cafe's. Roller blades & the like can also be rented if you are so inclined.

Watching the different street artists & various performers is all part of the experience.

Lots of vendors for t-shirts & the like also.

Great place to ditch the shoes & walk barefoot in the surf.

Venice beach = check! Thanks!

just one thing to keep in mind, the US is huge
I have family or friends come over from Europe from time to time, and they look at a map and say "lets drive from Niagara falls to mount Rushmore today"
and they don't realize that even though its only 22 inches on a map, it is 22 hours in a car, because 22 inches on their maps is generally 2 hours
Yeah, I realize that. I've traveled a lot from all the touring. I don't want to spend all my time behind the wheel, and I expect I will be really jetlagged also.

If possible:?? A stop,by the Petersen Automotive Museum,...? Amazing cars,as art..

Here's a couple more suggestions for you, one for San Francisco and one for the Los Angeles area:

San Francisco area:
* Muir Woods National Monument
(Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service))

Los Angeles area:
* Much better, in my opinion, than the current displays at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Go see the Nethercutt Collection
(The Nethercutt Collection) in Sylmar. The Nethercutt is open Tuesday - Saturday (closed Sunday and Monday). You will need reservations to tour "The Collection" so check your schedule and make reservations ahead of time on their website. The vehicles in "The Collection" building are priceless and the rest of items are also truly remarkable.

I truly enjoyed the previous displays at the Peterson Automotive Museum, but the current displays are too "sterile" for my taste - just my opinion.

Here's a couple more suggestions for you, one for San Francisco and one for the Los Angeles area:

San Francisco area:
* Muir Woods National Monument
(Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service))

Los Angeles area:
* Much better, in my opinion, than the current displays at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Go see the Nethercutt Collection
(The Nethercutt Collection) in Sylmar. The Nethercutt is open Tuesday - Saturday (closed Sunday and Monday). You will need reservations to tour "The Collection" so check your schedule and make reservations ahead of time on their website. The vehicles in "The Collection" building are priceless and the rest of items are also truly remarkable.

I truly enjoyed the previous displays at the Peterson Automotive Museum, but the current displays are too "sterile" for my taste - just my opinion.

Great! Thank you!

Well l don't know much about the left coast but, you mentioned music well I invite you to Mississippi we have a tremendous music history here. King of the blues, King of Rock and roll, hey Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads in the delta here.have fun over there though.

-
Back