First tune up, Spark Plug Tube seals??

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
So its time to do a tune up on the Scamp for the first time since i had it. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points etc. The guy at the store asked if i wanted spark plug tube seals too.

What the heck are they. I told him i didnt have a Australian 225 hemi. What are they and what do they do.

Kinda a embarassing question since i have been around mopars all my life, and never replaced them if i needed to.

It was a legit question. Consider them the "Protectors of the Plugs" from motor oil and also to keep debris out. When you pull the plugs either do a visual test or pull them out to see if they are still intact.

OH, DUH, (light bulb) since the engine leans to that side, they keep the oil from a leaky gasket and other stuff from getting down there?

They keep stuff out of the motor and keep oil from drooling all over your motor(they are also called "drool tubes"). You should check them when you have the plugs out, sometimes they dry out and crack. They ran them in all slants made before 1979.

Thanks J.R, I will replace them, doubt they have been replaced before, although the motor has been rebuilt, i will look, yes i got the air cleaner and breather and PCV too.

I got a oil leak on that side too, probaby the sender, gotta replace that too, already changed the valve cover gasket when i adjusted the valves.

He is refering to the "druel tubes" the tubes that your spark plug sit in I replace them everytime I do plugs on my car you only need them if you have an early cyl. head 74 and back. 75 and up they eleminated this part.

'75 was first year without tubes. My son has a '75 /6 out of a Scamp in his '54 Dodge truck, no tubes. '81 was first year for "juice" lifters in a slant.

Chuck

And don't forget to remove the crush washers from the sparkplugs. If you don't the tubes will leak.

Hey Chuck, hows the 54 truck doing?

Steve,

Keith is driving it to school. He wants me to post some pics of it here because he is pretty proud of it and I am pretty proud of him. He has done most of the work himself. He calls it Frankenstein because it has so many different parts from so many different parts vehicles that we have here.

Chuck

That engine looked nice in that truck, the scamp is getting new tires for christmas and some chrome accorns for the ralleys finally.

81-84 had hydraulic lifters??? where have i been? i thought all 60 -84 were solid lifters? i love telling chevy guys that my slant 6 has hemi lifters in it.

Yep, starting in '81 hyraulic lifters until the /6 was killed in '87 in trucks, ('84 in cars) but was used in industrial/Ag applications until '91. So Mopar didn't have to change the block the lifters are "top fed" meaning the lifters receive the oil thru a grooved cam bearing, up thru the head, thru the rocker shaft, thru the rockers and down hollow pushrods to the lifters. This means that any engine can use either solid or hydraulic lifters if the associated parts are used.

Chuck

-
Back