First week with new Dart

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I have to say the amount of positive attention my new Dart gets is off the charts. I can't even go for gas or drive down the street without hoots, hollers, or questions. I have yet to hear a single bad comment about my car.

My favorite questions are the ones asking me what year is my Dart, simply because those people know it's a Dart even though it doesn't say Dodge or Dart anywhere on the car. The next are ones that ask me if it's got a 340 and see their faces when I say "no it's a 440".

Only 80 year old man came up and actually asked if the car had a 440. I said "of course" and his simple reply was "damn right" then he climbed into his 70's Dodge pickup and drove away.

Or I had to guys in their 20's pull up beside me, roll down their window, and while going down the highway yell out and ask me what the year made and model of my car is. When I replied they both started hooting and hollering.

I pulled into 7-11 to grab a drink and had 3 offers for dates and multiple offers to buy the car. Girlfriend wasn't too happy about the date offers since she was standing right there.

The best ever though came from two of my own cousins. One cousin you might remember owns the $100,000 blown hemi cuda, a $150,000 custom '56 Chevy, and a $40,000 '69 Firebird. The other owns a $50,000 '34 Ford Coupe Roadster and a $70,000 '69 Nova Drag Car. Now there is a reason I'm telling you what the cars are worth. Both these cousins invited me along with them to the Ashcroft drags this year for the Loafers race event. They have NEVER invited anyone in the family because in their eyes no one else in the family has cars in "their class". For some strange reason they count my new Dart in their class and want to see it race.

I am very happy with my car right now! :D

I can identify with the head swell as I too recently have been sporting a new ride. We went out to breakfast last week at one of our favorite country breakfast places and happened to find a parking place right out front and next to one of those new 60K Vette's. We ate on the patio and I counted no less then 20 people taking pics of my ride and the Vette might as well been invisible. Yuck Yuck Yuck .

Need some pics of your ride.

I'm hoping the weather will be nice enough for some shiny pictures today! Might take the go pro out too.

The only picture I stopped to take was when I first brought the car home, since then been too busy driving:D

TbDdiSf.jpg

Beautiful backdrip for the 1st pic! As for the second pic, makes me glad my driver is in primer (over the factory paint, and no I didn't do it). That's a sweet looking car! Drive the hell out of it!

so after a lot of tinkering and tuning, my cousin thinks the Edelbrock carb on my Dart isn't supplying the right air and fuel mixture.

There was about a 1 second bog down if you stomped the pedal to the floor. After testing we concluded the fuel pump was only supplying 3lbs of fuel pressure. We put a new one on that is now supplying 6lbs and tuned the car some more.

That bog is down to maybe half what it used to be. My cousin suggested a Holly 650 CFM, 4150 (0-4777S) and that it should disappear completely.

so after a lot of tinkering and tuning, my cousin thinks the Edelbrock carb on my Dart isn't supplying the right air and fuel mixture.

There was about a 1 second bog down if you stomped the pedal to the floor. After testing we concluded the fuel pump was only supplying 3lbs of fuel pressure. We put a new one on that is now supplying 6lbs and tuned the car some more.

That bog is down to maybe half what it used to be. My cousin suggested a Holly 650 CFM, 4150 (0-4777S) and that it should disappear completely.

Of course he did...thats the Chevy guys fix-all....PUT A HOLLEY ON IT...THAT EDDY/CARTER IS JUNK!!!

With a bit of tuning, the Eddy will be just fine...actually can be better than a Holley...don't give up on it...find someone who knows how to tune an AFB!

Yeah...thats the Chevy guys fix-all....PUT A HOLLEY ON IT...THAT EDDY/CARTER IS JUNK!!!

With a bit of tuning, the Eddy will be just fine...actually can be better than a Holley...don't give up on it...find someone who knows how to tune an AFB!

My cousin is a VERY good mechanic and so are the guys that work for him. If they state the Edelbrock I have isn't going to cut it, I'm inclined to believe them. They have been working on my car for almost a week trying to get the edelbrock to work to save me the money.

My cousin is a VERY good mechanic and so are the guys that work for him. If they state the Edelbrock I have isn't going to cut it, I'm inclined to believe them. They have been working on my car for almost a week trying to get the edelbrock to work to save me the money.

He may be a fine mechanic, BUT...I repeat...find someone who knows how to tune an AFB! They obviously don't. If your carb has a flaw, then return/exchange it for another one. AFB's CAN and DO work just fine when tuned correctly...just like a Holley can be futzed sometimes. If they were all that bad, wouldn't Vic have fixed them by now?

He may be a fine mechanic, BUT...I repeat...find someone who knows how to tune an AFB! They obviously don't. If your carb has a flaw, then return/exchange it for another one. AFB's CAN and DO work just fine when tuned correctly...just like a Holley can be futzed sometimes. If they were all that bad, wouldn't Vic have fixed them by now?

I never said Edelbrock carbs were crap, just this one (and the last two I had but we won't go there :D)

Each time I read NEW Dart, I think of a NEW dart, like a 2014 model.

If it is a 440, it needs more than a 650, regardless of carburetor brand.

If it is a 440, it needs more than a 650, regardless of carburetor brand.

My understanding is the CFM of a carb sort of correlates to the max RPM of the engine itself. Right now my 440 is set with a maximum RPM of 5400 (although my engine is on top at 5100).

Everything I've read from the various manufacturers like Edelbrock, Holley, etc as well as a few other websites states;

650 CFM from 5000-5499 RPM
700 CFM from 5500-6999 RPM

Do you have a calibration kit? Does your cousin? Without it how can you try different metering rods, springs, primary jets, etc? What did your cousin set your initial at? Cam specs? I remember when you bought this, got quite a deal if I remember. The old Carter design is just another part that needs to be tuned to your specific build/cam/heads/ converter, etc. Depending on your overbore you are feeding over 450 cubes. I think you need a little more.

-
Back