Fitech/crossram project

-

replicaracer43

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I am going to try and document the installation and tuning of a very unconventional setup, specifically a edelbrock STR-12 crossram on a 410 inch small block stroker. I have had this particular intake for 20 plus years, and figured it was time to use it! This will be a ongoing thread, may take a while as this is a after-hours deal and sometimes extra time is limited!

What we are starting with is a 70 duster bought off this site about 2 years ago, low miles, pretty clean basic slant six car, white with blue interior, sort of a "day 2" type of car...all ready did all the mechanical upgrades, bbp discs, rebuilt front suspension, welded and gusseted k frame, 8 3/4 rear, 4:10 old style sure grip. Engine is a Mopar performance "crate motor" I picked it up in a trade deal from another great member on this site... it's the 410 inch "six pack" motor, consists of a R3 4 Bolt Block, edelbrock heads and a 509 purple shaft cam, rated by Mopar at 470 hp...been running it about a year with a M1 and a old school 850 DP, pretty stout running engine considering the dinosaur camshaft in it...

Starting with this

20160828_143125.jpg

Tore all that off, looked everything over and saw now issues, so mock up begins here, kind see how the base fits...

20160828_151916.jpg

And of course need to see if the as-cast valve covers clear, and they do, but barely!

20160828_154347.jpg

That's were I'm at for now, need to seal up the base, and also get the fuel supply stuff done. Going to use the "tanks inc" EFI tank with a areomotive in tank pump....more to come

Who did you buy that intake from? That looks just like the one I had, 3/8 plate top, adapters and all. Welcome to the STR club. Now to get it working......although its not that far from a Z-28 Cross-fire.

E="pishta, post: 1971371588, member: 383"]Who did you buy that intake from? That looks just like the one I had, 3/8 plate top, adapters and all. Welcome to the STR club. Now to get it working......although its not that far from a Z-28 Cross-fire.[/QUOTE]
I bought the intake base years ago, but I had the top plate water jet cut, made a single 4 top, as well as a cross ram top with the carbs turned sideways....

Awesome, looking forward to seeing the results. Fuel injection on this thing should be interesting.

Cool, I also made a single 3/8 plate 4 that I ran and a dual top for when I sold it.

You know how bad you suck, right?

Man that's badass.

A look at the "tanks inc" EFI tank, pretty sweet unit imo.....powder coated in a nice polished aluminum look.... has nice baffling inside for the EFI pump...looks well made and has clearance for the exhaust....

20160829_191821.jpg

The aeromotive "stealth" pump, and the hanger unit....again, nice looking peices...now need to figure out the plumbing, fittings, filter, and return...

20160829_192749.jpg

Cool project!
Maybe a dumb question but I noticed your engine is grounded off your aluminum head. Does that work?

It seems to work just fine grounded off the head, never really thought about it. There is also a ground strap on the pass side head to the firewall, have had no issues so far.....

I would be more concerned about all of that paint in the engine, eventually that will end up in the oil filter.

I wasn't crazy about that paint in there either, but I didnt build it, it was that way right from mopar......haven't seen any issues, but I agree

I have made some small progress, came up with a plan to use dual lokar cables for the throttle, as I didn't want a bunch of mechanical linkage on the intake. Decided to paint the front of the engine and the intake hemi orange, all that aluminum was too much....it's hard to keep a certain "look" to it....I will be getting back on it more soon

Probably going to remove the paint from the valve cover "ribs" but I like the orange a lot I think!

20160930_204322.jpg

Thanks rep. I was just getting ready to weld in the dams in my 12 and then came across your thread. Any plans to utilize dams if you haven't done so all ready?

-
Back