Fix Or Repair Daily.. sigh.

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I understand the vehicle is 14 years old, and it needs regular maintanance, and that parts are going to fail and need replacing after 14 years, but cmon!! Fixing something once a week?? This is getting old very fast. In the past 4 months, I have replaced.. Heater core, wiper motor, front callipers, front wheel bearings, all front bushings, ball joints, front axle seals, rear axle seals, rear bushings, and now this!! Gah. Just doing rear brakes, and this has to break.

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03422.jpg

DSC03423.jpg

Fix Or Repair Daily.

DSC03424.jpg

It is only 1, consider it optional equipment. :toothy10:

maybe that stud got jealous with all of the other stuff getting fixed becareful other parts are watching

Didnt you know Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily? I got rid of my Ford truck because of weekly repairs and rusting without even driving it in the salt.

Almost everything you've listed seem like normal wear items that you would expect to replace on any vehicle of that age.
If I were you, I'd replace the stud and be sure to use plenty of anti-seize on the others when re-assembling.

....oh, please don't think I'm defending Fords here; I try to wear a paper bag over my head whenever I'm forced to drive 1.

I know they are normal wear items. I just like to ***** about it because I work in camp, meaning the truck is left at home with nobody driving it. It gets driven 1 week of every month, and thats when stuff breaks. Its not like I'm driving the thing hard every day of every month.

I like the one sitting on militaries.

Is it just a coincedence that both slave cylinders on both trucks leak? Well, the one on the Fargo doesn't hold any fluid. The one on the Ford just leaks when its sat overnight and the temperature is under say 5 degrees C.

I've been driving fxxx trucks for about 30 years and they have been very reliable, I traded the last one, a 98 with 275,000 miles on it and it still looked and ran good. Also just sold a 94 with 160,000 on it, the qtrs were rusting but it wasn't a nickle/dime truck. My last Ranger I bought with 140,000 on it drove it for 5 years and gave it to my daughter and the only thing that stopped it was getting hit by a semi...
So they "can be" good trucks.

Using something occasionally is more times than not worse that using something continually. It's the main reason vehicles with high highway miles look better and last longer than vehicles with lower city miles. This is generally the case for anything mechanical regardless of manufacturer.

I will refrain from any comments on how I really feel about Ford trucks.

Chuck

This thread was more intended to be funny, so we could all laugh at my misfortune :) It wasn't supposed to be a rant.

Anyways. More broken parts! Yay!
Oh and bloody knuckles always help too.
Took the drum off and this is what I found.

DSC03425.jpg

Oh well, thats minor.

Next question. Does anyone have an easy way of removing a broken stud with axle still in the vehicle? Lubricate and hammer out?

this thread was more intended to be funny, so we could all laugh at my misfortune :) it wasn't supposed to be a rant.

Anyways. More broken parts! Yay!
Oh and bloody knuckles always help too.
Took the drum off and this is what i found.

dsc03425.jpg

oh well, thats minor.

Next question. Does anyone have an easy way of removing a broken stud with axle still in the vehicle? Lubricate and hammer out?
bfh

I use an air chisel with a drift attachment and drive it out. They actually come out quite easily unless of course they are swaged over to hold the drum to the hub like mother Mopar did.

To install the new one just slip it in from behind then use a nut and a stack of washers (or other suitable spacer) to pull the new one in.

You know what's going to happen don't you?

You are going to get fed up and get rid of the truck and the next guy will get another 14 years of trouble free service becuase you have already fixed everything that has worn out! ;)

Everything has a service life. Fatigue of metal will happen to every metal part sooner or later and the more stress it see's the quicker it will happen.

On my Dodge Magnum, my daily driver for the past 7 years, not a problem. I worked out all the bugs and off and running I went. Until a couple of weeks ago, it started! UGH! He we go, check this out.

1st, it started getting loud. Ifigure the header pipe and exhaust pipe are loose on the Headman Elites. NOPE! Cracked exhaust pipe right at the H. A 3 way crack of a god total 7 inchs in 3 directions. Head lights blow out, the 1/2 the interior lights, signal issues, bad ground, sockets for the tail lights can not be pushed in all the way, it looses the ground, dash llights go away, stero dies, but some how just came back like magic, unless you use the turn signal. That is new.... then the coil bled oil all over. 2 days later, the ignition box goes. 3 days later ballast resistor, The distribtor gets loose....later that day after doing spark plugs from poor running, it gets worse. I take off the cap, quick cleaning, not bad really, take off rotor and notice the whole inside of the distrib is lose and shaking around. Distrib shot!

Order Summit kit and return all parts to the Cuda. UP and running! Yea!

Then, Magum Mayhem comtinues........................................

I start running hot. Open the rad to find nothing. WTF! Where did it go? Belt brakes a day later, replace all 3.

Cruising to the store for stuff, it dosen't wanna restart, get it jumped and make it home. Pop open the hood and replace the regulator (spare on hand) re jump car, take for short drive, no restart. OK It's the Alt. no doubt now right? Well, maybe. While I'm under the hood, I notice the battery caps are up. NO water at all. The battery take 2 large jugs of water from a old speg. sauce jar.

Battery is hot, no doubt. Test Alt. and it's shot. Ordered Alt. which only took overnight from Auto Zone. The good thing about the battery is that it was under full replacement warranty, no questions, new battery off the shelf. (SCORE!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL)

In a min., after coffee, I'll get to work and see what's next.

Funny, all this started to happen right when I started to work on the Cuda's engine. Jelous Magnum?

Hahaha good addition to the thread! I kind of want to hear more additions from others!

Anyways. New shoes, new wheel cylinders, new axle stud.

DSC03426.jpg

That new stud looks too nice, you should have dirtied it up before you took the pic... rub some dirt or it or something to match the rest of the truck.

Lol, sorry about your misfortunes with the truck. I will be staying tuned for the next episode!!!

Well, I've been ignoring the leaky slave cylinder for some time now. I'm sure that (or whatever else decides to pop up on me) will be next.

Almost everything you've listed seem like normal wear items that you would expect to replace on any vehicle of that age.
If I were you, I'd replace the stud and be sure to use plenty of anti-seize on the others when re-assembling.

....oh, please don't think I'm defending Fords here; I try to wear a paper bag over my head whenever I'm forced to drive 1.

Don't! The torque rating on wheel studs is a dry torque rating. Never seize can actually gall the thread and give a "false" tight.

That being said: you should have replaced the others one while you were there. The truck has your name on it, bud, and won't be satisfied until you've rebuilt it from the ground up. One. Part. At. A. Time. :D

The truck has your name on it, bud, and won't be satisfied until you've rebuilt it from the ground up. One. Part. At. A. Time. :D

Hahaha, yes, so far it seems to be getting its way.

A neighbor came into the driveway today (the neighbors aren't too fond of the vehicles and opening up open headers at 3 am), and said the driveway looks like trailer trash. I can't imagine why she would say that?
(That chair was on its way to the thrift store but they wouldn't take it, so thats where it ended up.)

DSC03427.jpg

-
Back