fixin to get plum nasty in central il

-
Some pics here today. Temp right now is 6 and supposed to drop to -10 tonight and only hit -6 for a high tomorrow, BURRRRRRRRR

Lots of drifts too cause the wind is crazy. Last pic is me standing out in the yard. I'm 5'8" and this particular snow drift (not the worst I saw either) was right at my crotch

Attachments

• DSC00187.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00189.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00194.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 112
What the heck. -36° wind chill now. -50 predicted for early tomorrow. No School tomorrow.

We lost power he re about 17:30 hrs tonight luckily I'm wired with a portable generator for some lights and heat.most roads in the area are closed.snow has stopped got some pretty deep drifts out there now in comes the subzero temps and high winds.

I've spent the better part of my day and a good piece of my evening/night on the roads around here. I've helped un-stick or un-ditch more than two dozen cars, including two local cops, drove out of town to pick up two friends that ditched their truck and couldn't get out, taken relatives to/from work and have generally made a bunch of people very happy that I have a Jeep and am willing to just go out and help folks out.

Picking up my friends that ditched their truck was downright scary. The drive out to them was going south, then a bit more south to get to their place, but going north again was wild. This was well after dark and there's just nothing out their way...Driving almost straight in to the wind on the way back and the only thing you can see are a few yellow lines on the road every now and then...Sometimes not even that as there are massive drifts in spots. I just kind of had to go slow, look for the next broken yellow block or just point my vehicle at where the road should be and hope for the best when there's a drift. You can't see the ditches cause they're drifted over. No fun at all. I'm just glad I was able to get my friends home.

All of the Illinois interstates and county highways around us have been ruled impassable. US Route 150 east of town is especially bad; there are more than 100 semis, three county snow plows and a small tracked bulldozer that are stuck between Urbana and St. Joseph, ten miles to the east. The county and both city municipal groups have stopped plowing until probably tomorrow afternoon; they just can't keep up with the drifting.

It's currently -8°F with a wind chill of -34°F. At least the snow has stopped, but the wind is downright brutal.

My Wrangler with 275/70R17 BFG ATs has proved to be basically unstoppable. Today has basically been one solid Jeep commercial. :D The only things I've needed to get people out so far have been a tow strap and maybe some cat litter.

I need to find some goggles that will fit over my glasses. It would be nice not to get snow on my glasses every time I have to get out of the Jeep.

Most annoying: my dog won't go outside to relieve herself unless I go with her.

Stay safe and keep warm.

don't feel bad,got it good in st.louis,they say we get that cold ever 15 years,but be glad it didn't snow like in 1982

44 below wind chill here this morning. I think I'll stay home today. You all stay safe. tmm

geez...I was whining about 14 degrees at 9:00 in Dallas....you all win. 65 degrees on Saturday and 14 degrees on Monday morning. Stop sending that cold crap down here.

The cold is not that bad till you get a dang wind. Then it cuts right through you.

Yeah that is true. Plowing snow with the open cab tractor can get nasty cold. Supposed to be -15 to -25 with wind chill tomorrow morning. The sun has been melting our 6 inches of snow. We haven't had a good snow in my part of PA for a while....

Yeah that is true. Plowing snow with the open cab tractor can get nasty cold. Supposed to be -15 to -25 with wind chill tomorrow morning. The sun has been melting our 6 inches of snow. We haven't had a good snow in my part of PA for a while....

Funny you say that I spent 2 hours plowing with an open cab tractor today. I really need to buy a tractor with a cab out here where they dont plow our roads for days.

You need to upgrade to a Dodge Plow Truck my friend. Plow from the comfort of a heated truck.

Last big snow we had, was in 2009. 4 Feet of snow overnight.

Funny you say that I spent 2 hours plowing with an open cab tractor today. I really need to buy a tractor with a cab out here where they dont plow our roads for days.

Yeah we have 7 tractors all with open stations, haha. But most are old so there where no cab back in the late 40's early 50's.

You need to upgrade to a Dodge Plow Truck my friend. Plow from the comfort of a heated truck.

Last big snow we had, was in 2009. 4 Feet of snow overnight.

Yeah that would be nice. But we plow with a Kubota diesel that is 4x4 and has a loader on front and a blade on the back. Works pretty well.

-
Back