Fixing dented bumpers

-

niceolddart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How do i go about fixing dents in my rear bumper on a 72 Dart Swinger? Bumper is straight, but has two dents like it was tapped from behind. Would like to keep original bumper, plus i think it's a one year only item?... Any help would be appreciated.

The best way is to pack it up and ship it to Tri-City Plating. It will come back in better shape than when it was new.
Oh, and welcome aboard!
C

My friend does bumper straightening for a living. He pulls the bumper off and lays it face down on a large piece of carpet. He can see the dent, it's now a high spot on the back side. Using a series of hammers and dollys, he beats the high spot down until it's flat again. Sounds crude, but that's how he does it. If you want show quality, ship them off and have them done.

Same bumper used on 72 & 73 Swinger and mordor. The 73s have the hockey pucks stuffed in the face and a reinforcing plate in the rear.

X 2 on BrianT's advice. If the dent is deep enough, don't be surprised if the chrome "spider webs" when beat out from behind.

Chrome is nasty stuff from an eco perspective. Pricing can be all over the place for a bumper. IMO, $150.00 is good for a couple of dings and good quality replating.

Straightening bumpers is pretty easy. I use a big soft brass hammer out on the lawn for backingt it up. The carpet idea sounds good I'll have to try that. If you use a hard faced hammer put a block of wood inside to take the hammer blows. The face of the brass hammer I use is about 2x2 square. I've had good results doing it this way for years.

1378649_665477536798872_1569258608_n.jpg

what would you guys suggest about this. having a little bit of trouble believing hammering will get it out

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. That's gonna take heat, hammering, grinding and replating.

Same bumper used on 72 & 73 Swinger and mordor. The 73s have the hockey pucks stuffed in the face and a reinforcing plate in the rear.

X 2 on BrianT's advice. If the dent is deep enough, don't be surprised if the chrome "spider webs" when beat out from behind.

Chrome is nasty stuff from an eco perspective. Pricing can be all over the place for a bumper. IMO, $150.00 is good for a couple of dings and good quality replating.

$150? It's $450 per bumper in my area to rechrome! I'm not sure if that price includes straightening.

Thank's for everyones help. I'm on a very tight budget, so i'll try to straighten it myself,and have it chromed later. I used to do body work, and have all the tools. Mopars are great!

That's going to be a tough one. It's right on the style line and the metal is stretched. tmm

I'll take some before & after pix of bumper, try to post them for you! may take some time, as i am new to this site & new? tech!

There is a franchise business called " bumper man" that might be able to handle that for you. Of course wouldn't help the chrome. Google it up to see if there's one local to you.

If you do try to atraighten it out, the thing to remember is that you don't want to try and pound it all out in one hard swing. That will be more likely to cause the chrome to crack.

Use lighter pressure with many multiple softer blows to gradually bring the dent out, and like others have said, don't use a hard steel hammer on it, and back it up with a sand bag, carpet or something similarly firm that has some give.

I'm also a former auto body guy.

Good luck! Post up some after pics, even if it ain't perfect! That's probably a tough one to do without replating, for sure.

Thanks for your feedback MobileCustoms. i'll keep all the ideas in mind when it's time to do work. Weather not cooperating right now, have to do most work outside! spring is coming soon! YEAH!!!! p.s Car is out of weather, just not alot of room to do work. Thanks again everyone.

-
Back