Fixing my 6-pack hood

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
FINALLY got my duster out of the garage and went for a quick ride up the rd with no hood. Got home and put the hood on cuz it started to rain. I went to pick up my daughter from the bus stop and on the way home it hit it a little and WHOOSH,off the hood goes!!!!
I have 2 questions.
1).When the hood came off,it hit the top of the car and left a black scuff on the top of the car. How can I get it out??

2). When the hood landed in the rd,it broke the center brace on the bottom. Should I use bondo or fiberglass to fix it?? I know you can sand down the bondo smooth for painting but can you do the same with fiberglass??

As far as the scuff goes, you might try some 2000 grit paper, or polishing compund very lightly on the area. As to the broken rib, you'd be best to sand or grind around the break to see if there is any additional damage before trying to repair. If the hood is fiberglass, I'd use 'glass to repair it.

Good luck,

Bill S.

If the hood is fiberglass, I'd use 'glass to repair it.

yep-bondo really doesn't have any structural strength- if you use it to fix a crack, it would just crack again.
Use fiberglass resin and cloth, and yes you can sand it smooth afterwards for finish work and paint.

edit-nice Duster btw:D

That really sucks! So when you put the hood on, you didnt pin it, or did something let go? I bought a raceweight fiberglass 6 pack hood this year for $100 cause it needed some repairs, the center divider on the scoop was cracked, filled all the hole for the zdus fasteners plus I also fiberglassed in some reinforcement strips to the bottom to stiffen it up. Its really not too bad, like he said just get some fiberglass mat or cloth (cloth is weaved mat is strands) and some resin and hardner(usually come together at the auto parts store). First sand down the area that will be fixed. Cut the fiberglass to fit you repair, mix up some resin, then using a cheap paintbrush, brush a thin coat on the hood, lay on the fiberglass, then take resin on the brush and stab it into the fiberglass till its coated and all air is out. Once is cures, you can sand it down and use body filler to smooth it out. Just make sure you wear gloves, and a respirator isnt a bad idea either, very stinky!!!! Good luck.

Butch

Do you know where I can get just the scoop? Mine cracked and I really don't think it is repairable. I would prefer the 71-72 version compared to the older muscle car version.

-
Back