fixing stripped carb bolt hole on intake

-
It had to be special ordered, it's an odd ball thread. I don't need it as there will be no more Holley carbs anywhere in my future!!!

My neighbor busted both bolts that hold the starter on his 350 ci GMC. No shop within 100 miles of here would touch it for less than $1000. Since he knows that I don't work on GM crap, he had to beg me for help. I refused twice and then relented. I towed that nasty thing to my shop, moved the exhaust etc. so I could get a straight shot at the broken bolts with a hogger, drilled em out to the correct oversize and put heli-coils in it. He came back from the parts store with some new starter bolts and shims and I had it done, the starter back on, properly shimmed and ready to "rock & roll" in about 4 hours. Now, he owes me and I will get it out of him eventually.....LOL....:)
I've used helicoils on blocks, alternators, manifolds, etc. and never have had an issue with them. IMHO, its the only way to repair a broken stud/bolt that is down inside a blind hole. IF enough of the broken piece is above the hole, I've sometimes put a nut over the broken end, mig welded the entire center of the nut to the broken piece giving me something to get a wrench on to turn it (with lots of Kroil and ball pean hammer tapping). I've had varying degrees of success and failure with that method. Eze-outs??? Forget em...I never could get em to work...always broke making a bigger mess.

-
Back