Flag etiquette - help needed

-

MVRCorp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a few questions. I am the building manager for a building that has companies from different countries in it. We have seven flags on seven different poles representing the companies countries including of course an American flag. These flags stay up day and night with the American flag being lit at night. I know the proper etiquette for raising and lowering the American flag when it is supposed to be at half staff. I also know no flag is to be higher then the American flag. Today our flag was supposed to be at half staff in honor of the burial of the last World War I veteran. Since the American flag is on its own pole are the other six flags on individual polls supposed to be lowered to half staff also?

Another question. Since the American flag is lit at night it stays up 24/7. When I lower it to half staff is it proper to just lower it and when I raise it back up, is it proper to just raised or am I to bring it to the bottom of the poll and then position it properly?

Thanks for your help guys I just want to make sure I'm doing it properly.

Jim

Hi guys,

I have a few questions. I am the building manager for a building that has companies from different countries in it. We have seven flags on seven different poles representing the companies countries including of course an American flag. These flags stay up day and night with the American flag being lit at night. I know the proper etiquette for raising and lowering the American flag when it is supposed to be at half staff. I also know no flag is to be higher then the American flag. Today our flag was supposed to be at half staff in honor of the burial of the last World War I veteran. Since the American flag is on its own pole are the other six flags on individual polls supposed to be lowered to half staff also?

Another question. Since the American flag is lit at night it stays up 24/7. When I lower it to half staff is it proper to just lower it and when I raise it back up, is it proper to just raised or am I to bring it to the bottom of the poll and then position it properly?

Thanks for your help guys I just want to make sure I'm doing it properly.

Jim

I don't know about the other counties,but I would not think if it Hurt to lower all of them to half staff. But you are right about keeping a light on the American flag at night and lowering all the way down then 1/2 way back up. I seem to remember doing that in the Army.

I believe that when flying the United States Flag at half staff, it goes all the way to the top before lowering to half, then to the top again before lowering to remove and fold.

First. The American flag is always the first one raised and always the last one lowered when displayed with other flags.

Second: To display our flag at half mast, first hoist it to the top briefly and then bring it to half mast. When retiring our flag (when it has been at half mast) raise it to the top briefly then lower it to retire.

Hope this helps.

Being that the building's owners are from multiple countries, I'm sure they will agree to respect the half mast position, as well. The half mast position IMO is a sign of respect (for fallen ones).
Now as far as taking all the way down, then back up?

All of them should be lowered.

Both for the Veteran and for the enormous loss of life in Japan.

If anyone complains, tell them to pack their schmit and get out.

Southside is correct.

additionally, if the building is in the US and the American flag is being flown at half staff, all other flag should be removed and ONLY the American flag flown.

STAFF is on land, MAST is on a ship/boat, whatever.

Thanks for pointing that out. No body else knew that.
And that helps how.
The poster is asking about proper etiquette/regulations, let's just say the flag is on a pole, for sh)ts and giggles.

All of the other countries flags should be lowered and tossed in the garbage.

I'm really enjoying this thread . Thanks to Mullinax95 for posting that link for easy access .

One thing I've always wondered about , in regard to the Union ( stars ) : I've seen where the Union is displayed "backward" on patches and decals . Someone told me that the Union should always face forward ; that when displayed otherwise , it signifies "retreat" .

I mention this as the reproduction Rapid Transit System windbreaker my friend got for me has an American flag on its right sleeve , and the flag's Union is facing backward ; that it's on the wrong sleeve .
The site with flag etiquette does not mention the direction the Union is to be facing ; however , it does state that our flag is not meant to be used on non-military uniforms .

I'll admit , I'm a bit confused here ( not the first time ... HA! ) .

Thanks much .

@ StrokerScamp : I don't know if you're trying to be a Punk ( which I hope you're just screwin' around ) , but really ? What's prompted you to make such a statement ?

I guess we'll have to keep an eye on this thread, asking the proper ettiquett for our country's flag show's a great mans concern to do the right thing,let's not wreck the intended purpose of this thread with childish banter, that shows a lack of respect for the original poster :angry2:

We always lower both the american and canadian flag to half staff whenever we lower a flag.
We believe we stand together so we stand together when the flag goes to half staff.

As for WW1 veteran that passed we lowered our flag to half out of courtesy.

For Canadian etiquette
http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/etiqtt/index-eng.cfm

I guess we'll have to keep an eye on this thread, asking the proper ettiquett for our country's flag show's a great mans concern to do the right thing,let's not wreck the intended purpose of this thread with childish banter, that shows a lack of respect for the original poster :angry2:

My compliments, respect, and sincere thanks.

It was meant as tongue in cheek humor guys. That's all. It was total sarcasm.

It was meant as tongue in cheek humor guys. That's all. It was total sarcasm.

It's ok Rob. I say ten stupid things before breakfast. We fly a Canadian flag at home, and take pride in it, just like you do. Just think what you would have replied if it was the other way around.
The links to the etiqet were fantastic guys, thanks.

All flags to half mast, being that no flag is higher then ours. The flag must be brought all the way down then raised. If flag becomes damaged and needs to be replaced, take it to the local Veterans chapter for disposal. If you don't have a Vets chapter in your town, it is ok to burn it. NEVER WAS THEM.

All kiddin aside....I thought the flag etiquette said the American flag should be higher than any of the others....not that no other flag should be higher. There's a difference there. Maybe we need a link to proper flag etiquette. I WAS a boy scout.....but that was way long ago. My memory sucks.

According to AFMAN36-2241:
8.2.6.4. All flags displayed with the flag of the United States are flown at halfstaff when the flag of the
United States is flown at halfstaff with the exception of foreign national flags.

It also says that when displayed during peacetime (which we are in since no official declaration of war has been declared by congress)
8.2.4.3.2. When a number of flags are displayed from staffs set in a line, all staffs will be of the same height
and same finial. The flag of the United States will be at the right, which is to the left of an observer facing the
display

The proper procedure for raising the flag at Half-Staff is to completely raise to the highest point, pause at the top and then ceremoniously lower to half-staff.
Hopefully this clears up some confusion. When we display our flag with other foreign nations/NATO the flags are all the same height. The only time the US flag is higher is when its displayed with those flags that are not from another country like state flags.

-
Back