Flaming River box-sector size?

-

demonjohn

Reaction score
Hi,just wondering what sector size means?The 1540 says 1 1/8.Does my stock pitman arm off my 72 Demon fit this?

Thanks,John

That's not right. Almost all the manual boxes are the same. The large sector was pretty much just used in cars like the large C-bodies and trucks. Your stock pitman will fit - as long as you had manual steering to begin with. the power won't swap with the manual. The only reason that the 73 and up arms changed was due to the way they mount to the center link - nothing changed with the way they fit on the steering box. Flaming River says it's the small sector.

Bottom line, if your 72 is manual now, it will work w/ the flaming river box. If you are converting from power to manual, you need a new manual arm.

I installed the flaming river 16:1 ratio box in place of the stock 1968 Valiant power steering box.I did not have manual steering & used the original p/s pitman arm.

I installed the flaming river 16:1 ratio box in place of the stock 1968 Valiant power steering box.I did not have manual steering & used the original p/s pitman arm.

Power boxes all used small sector thru 72. 73 and up went large sector, so you're right, his 72 arm should fit regardless.

But in terms of manual boxes, all A,B, and E bodies used boxes that will interchange and all were small sector.

I went from power to manual in my 73, so i had to buy a new arm for the small sector box.

BTW, to the original poster - the sector is basically another name for the splined output shaft.

-
Back