Flat cam lobe, what cam now

-
Inertia i replied to the thread tou made about this, but my bearings did have the provisions for getting oil to that hole, im not sure if all new bearings have it or not. My rod bearings were clevite 77s that my uncle has had new in the box since the late 80s early 90s.

You do have a good theory and it seems some people are getting a little heated about it. But then again, like rusty said, whos to say some of that oil doesnt get thrown to the cam....

Your converters low stall goes hand in hand with the motor feeling soft down low. Nothing wrong with the converter.

Joe Gibbs Engine Assembly Grease. As per IQ52... Learned my lessons...

Having gone through a wiped lobe on my 360 back in 2008, be ready to do a full rebuild. I had metal shavings stuck in the piston skirts, which got dragged up and down the cylinder walls scratching the crap out of the cylinders, trashed the oil pump....long story short I had to do a total rebuild and bore another 0.010 to make the block usable. The good news was it gave me the incentive to build my 410 stoker :)

Go roller and don't look back.

Go roller and don't look back.

I agree with RRR 100%. If you are not ABSOLUTELY 100% CONFIDENT you can start a flat tappet engine without an issue you need to pony up and go roller and end the carnage.

That said, some guys can find a way to break a bowling ball in a sand box without tools.

Nothing is fool proof.

Im going to pull the motor, clean, and inspect everything...if good im looking at this cam from lunati, its about the same lift as the 590 after lash with a little less duration and my valve springs will work
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 280/288
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 251/259
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .566"/.586"
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .016"/.016"
  • RPM Range: 2800-7000

Im going to pull the motor, clean, and inspect everything...if good im looking at this cam from lunati, its about the same lift as the 590 after lash with a little less duration and my valve springs will work
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 280/288
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 251/259
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .566"/.586"
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .016"/.016"
  • RPM Range: 2800-7000

Good choice I've had excellent results with Lunati cams..

Call a cam company and see what can they recommend...... with those heads, bet it is smaller than a 590 lift cam.
Afterwards having to re install the inner spring maybe a pain in the asses, But pulling your motor to change cam is way, way more of a pain.
When you get it back together, set the crank at 20 degrees before (tdc Compression stroke) then point your rotor at #1. It will fire right off!!!!! And it MUST to save the cam.

Final note.
A cam that will flow with those heads will perform much better than a Too Big of a Cam.....just something to think about.

-
Back