flat cam looking for a replacement

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
just found my very old mp 292 509 cam lost a lobe went flat kinda my fault , started beating on it while it was alittle low on oil
looking for a replacement ,any suggestions
thanks

more of a street car than a race car
74 dart sport
x heads ported
10.5 maybe alittle lower
3500 flash convertor
4.10 gear
best pass 12.57 @108mph

just found my very old mp 292 509 cam lost a lobe went flat kinda my fault , started beating on it while it was alittle low on oil
looking for a replacement ,any suggestions
thanks

more of a street car than a race car
74 dart sport
x heads ported
10.5 maybe alittle lower
3500 flash convertor
4.10 gear
best pass 12.57 @108mph

I won't be going back to a flat tappet next time, next time it will be a solid roller. hint hint.

like the comp xe275HL but its for a big block
should of said mine is 360

Where's all of that metal from the wasted lobe?

Its in the bearing surfaces....Were you going to pull the engine apart?

I would get a custom ground cam made for your set up. It cost about the same as an off the shelf cam.

yes engine is out and cleaned up there really was not much evidence of debris on the bearing ,not looking to change a whole lot (ie springs)
just wanted to update the cam to something with alittle newer technology
everyone tells me that there are so many cams that are better the 292 ,509

note
just wanting to keep the car on the road while spending the real money on the 408

think i'am gonna try the mopar Mechanical 284/528
does it sound and perform compared to the 292/509
any thoughts
thanks for ur help guys

a few friends of mine have that in their 340 4spd cars.it has a very nice idle because the overlap is 60* compared to the cam you had 76*.it pulls really hard ,and has a fairly broad powerband.

The .528 is a good choice, and cheap, and a bit smaller than the .509. However I'd suggest something like the Comp Magnum 280H for now. I'd also have the lifter bores carefully checked when you go to stroke it.

My setup us similar to yours i'm running the Lunati "voodoo' .533/.552 hyd. cam has put my 360 in the low 11.90's..not a fan of Mopars old design cams...

-
Back