Flex plate bolts witness marks on torque converter

-
Found their website, they look like they know what they're doing lol.
I really don't want to wait or can afford another converter right now. All machine shops here are swamped or can't be bothered with this piddly job...ffs.
I'll call SMR on Monday.
Thanks!
SMR EQUIPPED CARS
When talking to any converter builder, if you are keeping your old transmission make sure they are aware of that.

When talking to any converter builder, if you are keeping your old transmission make sure they are aware of that.

I agree with what you are saying, but I don't want to lose anymore down time. Already the middle of June, yeah I work really frickin slow lol. The future plan was to "probably" get another converter for the 340(higher stall). I believe the 273 one I have now is stock. Also getting a tc specific to the 340 allows me to shelf the 273 one for the 273 that I plan on rebuilding.
What about buying a complete 340 one from SMR? Obviously you recommend them?
Thanks
Steve
I did business with SMR in the past. The owner was a drag racer of some note, travelling up and down the East Coast. We sold him performance shafts, drums and other hard core race items for the TF 727 and 904 transmissions that the we made. He knew his stuff. Unless things have completely changed, I wouldn't hesitate buying a converter from him at all. Just make sure you answer truthfully any and all questions about your combination when and if you order a converter. Give a converter builder the wrong information and you will be disappointed in the results.

Problem with getting a converter with the large pilot, is they may not be able to give you a High stall speed with the small splines to fit your transmission (those parts are getting hard to find). So then you will need to get a later transmission, or change the front section of your trans to the later pieces.
Never an issue in the changeover Charrlie. There are two ways it can be done, one of course is machine the old pilot off and weld a new one of the proper size on the old mounting cover, or use the mounting cover of a 67 and up converter. The shop that I worked for had the facilities to make their own splines, and as I recall they were available from other sources.

I can't see the sense of doing it the hard way. The bushing reduces the size of the crank pilot hole, and allows the use of a stock converter. There is no down side. Why spend a bunch of money on a special converter, when a low dollar bushing will accomplish the same thing. Granted if you want a "special" stall speed converter, then have it made with the big pilot.
I have several different converters, for different applications.
Large pilot-large spline
small pilot-small spline
small pilot-large spline
I can do any combination of engine -904 trans except lock up.
early engine with any non lockup 904
Late engine with or without bushing
early 904 with small spline, or converted to large spline.
PS: I am told that the small spline part inside the converter is getting hard to buy.
The ideal way to do the late engine conversion is to use a late transmission to go with the engine. Larger stronger input shaft, more clutches. However some people have 65 and older cable shifted trans, and want to keep them (push button or factory floor shifter). These people have two options.
1) Early trans/converter, with the bushing
2) early trans with the later front parts in the trans (Low gear set will not work), and the later style converter (no bushing)

Last edited:
I can't see the sense of doing it the hard way. The bushing reduces the size of the crank pilot hole, and allows the use of a stock converter. There is no down side. Why spend a bunch of money on a special converter, when a low dollar bushing will accomplish the same thing. Granted if you want a "special" stall speed converter, then have it made with the big pilot.
I have several different converters, for different applications.
Large pilot-large spline
small pilot-small spline
small pilot-large spline
I can do any combination of engine -904 trans except lock up.
early engine with any non lockup 904
Late engine with or without bushing
early 904 with small spline, or converted to large spline.
PS: I am told that the small spline part inside the converter is getting hard to buy.
The ideal way to do the late engine conversion is to use a late transmission to go with the engine. Larger stronger input shaft, more clutches. However some people have 65 and older cable shifted trans, and want to keep them (push button or factory floor shifter). These people have two options.
1) Early trans/converter, with the bushing
2) early trans with the later front parts in the trans (Low gear set will not work), and the later style converter (no bushing)
I don't see doing this the hard way Charrlie. Judging from what the converter looks like, it's been used. How hard and for how long I don't want to even guess. However, again if it was me, while having the pilot changed, I'd get the converter shop to rebuild it, be it stock stall, or something perhaps a little higher, say something in the 2200/2400 range like the stock 340 converters. The engine also has been changed, and likely has more torque and HP than the 273 has, so wouldn't it may be a good time to have a look inside the converter and see what if anything is wrong inside and let the converter builder know that you've taken the 273 out and replaced it with a 340? I do agree that the later engine/transmission deal is the route to go, but like you say, if they wish to keep the shifter factory then the options for them are limited.

What's a tc gonna cost me? I honestly dont know, ballpark $800? If I rebuild the 904 tc and gernit sized for the 340, then I don't have a tc for the 273 when I rebuild it. You're right currently it "might" need a rebuild, but I'm flata $$broke. So a $40 bushing?? Gets me running and thru this season, then re-evaluate thru winter.
I'm not against what u say, my bank acct is. It's very easy to sit and spend someone else's money lol.
Maybe ill start a go fund me lol.
I don't see doing this the hard way Charrlie. Judging from what the converter looks like, it's been used. How hard and for how long I don't want to even guess. However, again if it was me, while having the pilot changed, I'd get the converter shop to rebuild it, be it stock stall, or something perhaps a little higher, say something in the 2200/2400 range like the stock 340 converters. The engine also has been changed, and likely has more torque and HP than the 273 has, so wouldn't it may be a good time to have a look inside the converter and see what if anything is wrong inside and let the converter builder know that you've taken the 273 out and replaced it with a 340? I do agree that the later engine/transmission deal is the route to go, but like you say, if they wish to keep the shifter factory then the options for them are limited.

What's a tc gonna cost me? I honestly dont know, ballpark $800? If I rebuild the 904 tc and gernit sized for the 340, then I don't have a tc for the 273 when I rebuild it. You're right currently it "might" need a rebuild, but I'm flata $$broke. So a $40 bushing?? Gets me running and thru this season, then re-evaluate thru winter.
I'm not against what u say, my bank acct is. It's very easy to sit and spend someone else's money lol.
Put me down for $20 steve.

You've answered your own question. As to the cost, I don't know, you'd have to check with the converter builder. So, with the lack of funds, it would appear that the bushing is the answer you are looking for and will, as you say, get you up and running for the season, and I know all about the "car bank account". :lol:

$60

20240617_125054.jpg

Thanks Todd, I'm hoping I didn't "overcam" or "underengine" with it lol.
Yep I agree, probably could've asked a favor here, but would've been another week or so before I see it. Phoned them today and they called a couple hours later. Now if I could get the damned engine lined up and installed. :BangHead:
That's a pretty gnarly cam. Should be a strong streeter.

I understand people gotta get paid. But I bet there's easily a dozen machinists on this forum that could knock that out in minutes for a couple of bucks.

Thanks Todd, I'm hoping I didn't "overcam" or "underengine" with it lol.
Yep I agree, probably could've asked a favor here, but would've been another week or so before I see it. Phoned them today and they called a couple hours later. Now if I could get the damned engine lined up and installed. :BangHead:
I think the cam will be fine. But I've got a hunch you'll be wanting to update your converter over the winter.

I'm hoping it goes together quickly and you're cruising ASAP.

-
Back