Flex plate to convertor gap

-

35steveq

Reaction score
Hello all,
Really need in a bit of advice here, I have a 3/8" gap from flexplate to convertor. From internet hunting that seems too much. Car originally a 64 273 and 904 combo. I installed a 71 318. Using 318 flexplate, and original TC from 273.
I'm stuck between using a "Spacer Washer", or pulling motor back out. But still not sure what my problem is if I do pull engine. Maybe replace flexplate? I feel like using a spacer is just masking another problem.
I did use the Pat Blias bushing in engine for smaller snout on convertor, and it slides/spins freely. But is pulling it out 3/8" too far? Don't want it to disengage from trans pump.
Any advice???

20210119_191844.jpg

I had same problem. thanks for posting. I went from 273 to 340. I pulled out converter to flex plate and bolted up tight but didn't realize this might not be how it was supposed to be. Haven't got it running yet so hopefully i don't have to pull trans to change something.

that is about right....turn the converter back n forth...and see if you hear a clak clak noise...that is hub on the converter hitting the tits on the pump....you are seated and if you had no clearance your converter is not seated..

that is about right....turn the converter back n forth...and see if you hear a clak clak noise...that is hub on the converter hitting the tits on the pump....you are seated and if you had no clearance your converter is not seated..
I lost you at the end there, so he needs to pull converter to flex plate and bolt up? That's what I did as I had same gap. I hope that's right or I have a long weekend ahead of me taking tranny back out.

Did you use the bushing in the crankshaft register to reduce it's diameter? A 71 318 has the large diameter crankshaft register. The 64 torque converter has the small diameter register. If you didn't use the bushing your going to beat the **** out of the torque converter bushing and most likely bust the flex plate. Regarding the gap between them, just pull the converter forward and bolt them together.

if the converter is seated correctly ....there will be a small space between flexplate and converter pad...simple as that ...sorry for getting too complicated...

Did you use the bushing in the crankshaft register to reduce it's diameter? A 71 318 has the large diameter crankshaft register. The 64 torque converter has the small diameter register. If you didn't use the bushing your going to beat the **** out of the torque converter bushing and most likely bust the flex plate. Regarding the gap between them, just pull the converter forward and bolt them together.
I used a Pat Blais bushing for the crank bore. However I didn't bolt up convertor to inspect fit prior to install..

You sure that block is bolted up snug to the trans? I see a bit of an air gap between the two!

I used a Pat Blais bushing for the crank bore. However I didn't bolt up convertor to inspect fit prior to install..
If you used the bushing you should be all set. Just pull them together and bolt em up! 65'

You sure that block is bolted up snug to the trans? I see a bit of an air gap between the two!
I did notice that there is a very small <1/16 at starter location. Its flush on other side. Tightening that up now.

Turn the crank and measure the clearance from all four flex plate holes to the converter pad. See what the average is.

I'd put 1/4" spacers in it. You're saying all four are the same distance within 1/32"? As long as 1/4" doesn't cause the converter to drop out of the crank.

So the Tranny is correctly tightened to the block? No airgaps anywhere? was it easy to tighten?
If everything is correct, you should pull the converter out towards the flexplate by hand or a lever somehow!
If not, there is something wrong! Dont make the mistake, other guys before you did!
Could be that the converterhub is slightly larger than the Crank opening!

Call Pat and ask him. He is the Torque Flite Guru. I have his rebuilt A727 and his torque converter. Building my stroker as we speak.

I need to check. He is a legend up here in Snohomish County. I know he quit taking more business to take care of his Mother. He always took care of his customers. If he did pass, I'll let my community know. He is the Man for a bulletproof A727.

-
Back