Flex Plate

-

NiceFishEh

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I want to replace my flex plate, but after I undid my TQ, it would only go into the trany about 1/4". No way to get at the crank bolts...hardly see them.

Do I rotate the TQ until it slips back. Don't say the trany has to come out!!!!

Whats going on?

You can only replace the flex plate by removing the transmission!
Sorry...........

O.K.

I had a good cry...I'm out of beer...and a little hung over.

If I undo the tranny and slide it back two or three inches I should get access to the trany bolts, no?

I was thinking of undoing the tranny mount, slide it back along the cross member to support it, then support the front. See any problems with this?

Thanks

That will work but at that point the only thing left is to remove the crossmember. Taking out those 4 extra bolts will make your job much easier.

That will work but at that point the only thing left is to remove the crossmember. Taking out those 4 extra bolts will make your job much easier.

I thought about that...I could support it with my floor jack at the cross member.

Thanks KO

While I'm at it...

My 340 is a 73 with cast crank and proper balancer, but has the four legged flex plat for internal balance. My TQ is aftermarket and nuetral. 904 trans.

B&M makes 10234 and 10235 flex plate.

Which one do I need and why? I can't tell the difference.

Thanks

I would say you need the 10234 since it says it's for a 904. The 35 is for a 340/727. I'm no expert though.

340 with 904–External Balance 71-76
[10234] $85.00

(1971-76) –External Balance 340, with 904 1971-1976 Use with 11' 10' 9.5' 8' torque converters with NO weights. 7/16 or 5/16 converter bolts.* Also will fit 340 External Balance with 727 11' or small torque converter with NO weights

cope racing has some nice pics of the flexplates and I'm sure they could guide you to the right flexplate. They are a great bunch and always willing to help.

-
Back