Flexplate bolts dont line up

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
So today my flexplate to converter bolts finally showed up. I went out to put them in and they dont line up. I can get one in but after the the rest are just a bit off. I tried leaving the one bolt slightly loose as to be able to move the converter a bit but that didnt help. Any suggestions? B&M plate and 10" converter.

one is offset. the flexplate can only go on the converter one way. you will have to spin the converter around until you can get all four in. this pic is just for reference. I hooked up a push button starter to my starter relay to make it easy to bump the engine around while I was underneath.

Attachments

• diagram31.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 360
Been awhile since I've installed an auto but I think they only line up one way. Usually you place the flexplate on the converter & mark both with some spray paint or a good marker. Then attach to the flywheel & line up the marks.

Make sure the the flywheel it flipped right. There's a engine side, I believe.

There is a small hole between the crank bolts. The mark on the converter goes opposite of the hole. Or if it has a drain plug the plug goes opposite of the hole. Usually I line the holes up before installed and put a paint mark on it in the correct location.

I think i got the right order i got them all started enough that i could spin the crank and they clear. Another question there are 4 bolt holes which are little pad type things. Now the flexplate should sit flush and tight with these correct? No gap!

I think i got the right order i got them all started enough that i could spin the crank and they clear. Another question there are 4 bolt holes which are little pad type things. Now the flexplate should sit flush and tight with these correct? No gap!
absolutely. the converter should pull up tight. I even use locktight on them so they aren't coming loose. torque spec is 270 in. lbs.

DONE thanks to all. I was beginning to think i had something messed up or wrong parts. Much appreciated thats why i love FABO. I got several books but some of this stuff it just dont tell ya.

The way it should be done is to thread a bolt into the offset hole a few turns but don't crank it down all the way. Put the blade of a large flat screwdriver or prybar under the head of the bolt and pry it towards the transmission. The converter will slide in a few mm and the pads should now sit flush against the plate. The rest of the bolts should now go in easily.

An old trick is the lay the flexplate on the converter..prior to bolting the flexplate to the crank...Line up the bolts..and spray paint one lug of the flexplate and converter together..

-
Back