Flexplate install tricks?

-

'66Cuda

Reaction score
The last bolt only grabs a thread or two. I have tried with all other bolts tightened, and I have tried with them as loose as they can be for me to still spin it. Its almost like the TQ bolt hole is just ever so slightly off. I am looking at trying to tap it, but can't seem to get it started just right. I even ran all the bolts in all the way before I ever installed. I am puzzled. Any tricks?

The flexplate should only fit one way. Are you sure that it is positioned correctly? Did you try turning the plate on the converter in different locations?

What engine? early 273's have a small diameter Torque Converter pilot diameter. If using a 68 up Torque Converter, it will nor register correctly. It will keep the Torque Converter from going into the crank hub and pushing the flexplate away from the engine. The best trick is to spray a paint a stripe hitting fllexplate, Torque Converter, and one bolt before disassembly.

Its a 360. TQ is aTurboaction. They put an X where the gap goes. Lined up and marked everything before I started. I can get one or two threads started and then it pulls out. I think if it was misaligned that would be off more. Puzzled...

Its a 360. TQ is aTurboaction. They put an X where the gap goes. Lined up and marked everything before I started. I can get one or two threads started and then it pulls out. I think if it was misaligned that would be off more. Puzzled...

i had a similar problem with the B&M flex plate on my 360. it seemed so close but when i took the other bolts back out and turned it to the next set of holes i had a bingo and a Yahtzee lol and it was all good

i had a similar problem with the B&M flex plate on my 360. it seemed so close but when i took the other bolts back out and turned it to the next set of holes i had a bingo and a Yahtzee lol and it was all good

If you have a 360 you should be good to go. Try turning the engine or flex plate, it should pop in. Good Luck!

All of the other three bolts/holes started perfectly. Then got to the last one and no go. I even took all of them back out and tried to start bolt/hole #4 by itself. It wouldn't even start without any of the others in yet. I tried turning the TQ to all different positions. The holes were half of a hole off, which is what I expected. TurboAction stamped an X in the housing, presumably where the gap in the flexplate should go. So after 5 hours of monkeying with it, and 100 miles or so worth of crank turns, it was obvious that the only way it was going to work was to bump it with a die grinder. All it took was about .030" on the one side and it finally went. I am guessing the spacer block on the TQ was just out of tolerance. Think I will have any issues?

Did you put 3/16 washers inbetween the flexplate and T.converter? If not,you should.JMO

Why would you do that?

The flex plate to torque converter bolts have shorter heads on them than standard bolts for the needed clearance, putting a washer under them puts them further out where they are trying to get more clearance...

TurboAction specs .188" to .198" bolt head thickness, otherwise you will hit the can. They say to use washers between the TQ and flexplate to make up for a gap that is larger than 1/8". Mine was dead on at 1/16" which was the minimum. Everything was perfect up until the last flexplate bolt. Thanks for the input!

Why would you do that?

The flex plate to torque converter bolts have shorter heads on them than standard bolts for the needed clearance, putting a washer under them puts them further out where they are trying to get more clearance...
Read again.#-o.I didn't,t say under the bolt,which yes would put the bolt further back towards engine.I said between the flex plate and t.converter.My transmission guy recommended this 5 yrs ago on my race car(360/904) and have made over 1500 passes since.

I understood what you were saying but still don't get the reason for it. Both my transmission guy and converter guy didn't say anything to me about washers?!?

Why would you do that?

It keeps the converter deeper in the bushing and pump as well as the input shaft. No effect on the clearance of the bolt head and block.

-
Back