Flip[ gas cap on Duster

-

dusterdon

Reaction score
I bought an adaptor to mount a 69 cuda flip top gas cap on my duster from another member here. Finally got around to putting it on. Which way is it supposed to open. Mine would only go on opening from the front. That seems backwards to me. Anybody care to offer up a pic of a factory installation? I replaced a factory chrome gas cap and painted the flip cap body color (black). Not too sure if I like it now its on the car. But it was so dingy and dreary out today, I'll need to see it in the sunlight before I pass judgement. I'll post pics when I can get it out in the sun.

Hey Don, If you refer back to my thread, I have mine mounted and show how its mounted. I am sure it is mounted in the correct direction. I say this for two reasons.
1. There is a slight angle to the base of the cap assembly. I have the higher part at the bottom which makes the bottom of the cap stick out further than the top. Im sure it would look goofy the other way.
2. The cap when opened, has the hinge on the right hand side. This makes sense because if you happened to leave it open, then the wind would shut it, well it wouldnt latch Im sure but you get the point.
Hope this helps!
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=53282

The holes that came in mine mounted it backwards from yours. guess I'm going to have to redrill the mounting holes in the cap. I thought it wasn't right.

That I know of there are only 2 different patterns. A 3 hole pattern, which of course you would need to drill the cap base to match your 4 hole pattern filler tube.
Then there is the 4 hole pattern, I think these are Barracuda caps. They will screw right to the filler tube holes that are already there.

I guess if you attempt to use the 2 horizontal holes on the 3 pattern base, then you could end up with the issue you are having. But Im thinking even if you did this, that you could use them in the bottom holes on the filler neck and still come out ok. Is that what you've done? Just curious, so if anyone else has the same issue, I know what to tell them.

My cap had the 3 hole pattern, as did my fuel inlet pipe. They're just 180 degrees off. I'm gonna have to drill 3 new holes in the gas cap base to turn it around.

Ahhhh I see. Hmmmmm that's interesting, I figured the 3 hole pattern was only on the Chargers. Not to mention I would figure it would be "clocked" the same on all the cars across the board. Even if they didn't use these caps on these cars you would figure the pattern would have still been used the same.
Interesting! Thx for the info

-
Back