floating wrist pins

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
So my pistons are on their way, they are .030 over arias with 1.094 pins and locks. my question is, should i just have my stock rods honed to float the pin or is it better to have them bushed? also ive read about drilling a small oiling hole on the rod end for oiling, is that needed?

If you want to go floating, have them bushed. Why not just go pressed?

If you plan for this one to stay together for a long time pressed pins are fine. The advantage of floating pins is ease of assembly/disassembly. If you go floating pins no bushing,drill the hole for oiling. An unbushed rod is inherently stronger.

Not when it seizes up from like metals making contact. lol

I had a hot 383 chevy w/ non-bushed floating pins, really worked well, had the oil hole at the top. don`t know how long they were good for, sold it and built a 406 ---bob

Yeah I've seen and read where people have done it for years, but there's no machine manual or machinist anywhere that will actually recommend and stand behind it.

Are press fits fine for a street strip motor, ill only run it to anout 6500

Press fit will work in anything just fine.

It's actually more of an endurance thing. Presed pins can walk around during hard use over time. Floaters allow for oiling and movement without breaking anything. Floaters were ditched when presed pin was deremined to be fine for a full service life of normal use as a cost cutting measure. For what you're doing, pressed is probably fine.

-
Back