Flooding AVS2 - What am I missing?

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any idea what might be happening?

Drove to a show last Saturday. Car ran great there and back. Several days later tried starting it and discovered fuel coming out of the vents of the Edelbrock 650 AVS2 that's only 2 or 3 years old. Fuel is pouring out.

Had the top off four times now. Floats levels are correct. 7/16 float level, 1 1/16 hanging. Turned top over and blew in the fuel inlet and the needles are seating. The pressure gauge is reading 5.5.
What am I missing? Thanks!
20240915_190410.jpg

What is the fuel pressure out of your pump?

Did you take the floats off and the needles out to make sure nothing is stuck in the seats? Do that.

Did you totally disassemble the needles and seats? It's got some dirt in them I bet.

What is the fuel pressure out of your pump?

Did you take the floats off and the needles out to make sure nothing is stuck in the seats? Do that.
X 2 on the fuel pressure. Edelbrock says no more than 6.5#. I like less than 5 just to be sure. From their website: Fuel pressure should not exceed 6.5 psi. Float level should be verified to be at 7/16. Refer to supplied carburetor owners manual. Verify needle & seats are free of any debris, and have a smooth range of operation and travel. Verify floats are free of any fluid by shaking the float, or submersing it in a safe, non flammable fluid.

Last edited:
Had the same problem with my Holley DP, found a small piece of Teflon tape in the needle and seat preventing it from sealing. 65

Thanks all. I took the floats and needles off three times. Blew it out with carb cleaner. Regulator set at 5.5# verified with fuel pressure gauge.

I flipped the top upside down to close the seats and tried blowing through - and it was definitely sealed when it's off the car.

Put a new filter on it today also, just in case.

Guess I could have gotten some really dirty fuel.

I'll look at it again tomorrow to confirm there's nothing in the seat. I don't know where else it could be coming from...

The needle and seat is the last hoorah before the fuel enters the carburetor. If the fuel pressure is good, that's what it has to be. If you run ethanol fuel, that could have hardened your needles to the point that they will not hold back the fuel. Sealing out of the car is one thing.

The needle and seat is the last hoorah before the fuel enters the carburetor. If the fuel pressure is good, that's what it has to be. If you run ethanol fuel, that could have hardened your needles to the point that they will not hold back the fuel. Sealing out of the car is one thing.

I thought about that. The car was only driven a tiny bit in three months while we moved down to Florida. I was doing non-ethanol every other fill up.

I'll give it one more look tomorrow and order needles if it keeps flooding. It is massive flooding.

I've had two things cause that: mismatched needle/seat and too much float hang. Needle/seat was too tight and wouldn't slide easily. Too much float hang and it gets stuck in the bottom position after sitting without fuel in it.

Thanks all. I took the floats and needles off three times. Blew it out with carb cleaner. Regulator set at 5.5# verified with fuel pressure gauge.

I flipped the top upside down to close the seats and tried blowing through - and it was definitely sealed when it's off the car.

Put a new filter on it today also, just in case.

Guess I could have gotten some really dirty fuel.

Lower fuel pressure setting to 4.5 and see what happens.

Lower fuel pressure setting to 4.5 and see what happens.

When down to 4.5 and it still flooded. It's massive, just pushing fuel out the vents.

I ordered new needle and seats that will be here by Thursday so we'll see if they help.

Checked the receipt and the carburetor is only 3 years old. Rob may be onto something with non-ethanol fuel causing hardening of the needles.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

I've had more issues with the ethanol fuel eating up the insides of the rubber fuel line.

But looking at your fuel bowls, it looks fairly clean.

Quite a few years ago I had pretty much the same problem. 1 of the seats wasn’t tight in the air horn. Loose by about a thread or so. Fuel was getting past the threads and making it flood. Tightened the seat then no more flooding. Yet it sealed when inverted. Also seen that if the needle has a ring around it where it seats that it is unable to seal. Yet when u try to blow thru it u can’t Kim

-
Back