Floor Pan Question

-

pressedham

Reaction score
Around the rear frame rail there is a big rust hole(fist size) were the body plug was.
It is the same for both sides. You can see the floor pan on the inside.The floor pan is solid with no rust.
Is there a replacement piece for this. Looks like it goes across the whole back end and is welded to the frame rail. It almost looks like a dust cover to fill in were the floor pan bends up for rear seat. Is this part of the frame???
Is it needed for structural support.
67 cuda fastback.

I'm not visualizing exactly what you're talking about here. Can you post a picture of the area to which you're referring? I'll have a look at my Valiant this afternoon when I get home from work and see if I can locate the area that you're trying to explain.

Its the floor pan under the rear seat just were it turns up.
Looks like there is a double layer of sheet metal here.
I will bring in pics tomorrow.

If I was you I would just cut a piece of metal for the holes and weld it in. It's cheap that way.

As you can see there is a double wall here.

52.jpg

55.jpg

59.jpg

Now I see what you mean. I agree with halfaed, cut out all the rusted metal and form a replacement piece from some good sheet metal. Also, I'd try and sandblast that inner metal floor bottom and use either a good Epoxy primer or some sort of Rustoleum or other rust inhibiting paint on it prior to welding in the new outer metal. Oh, I looked back at your original post and you say there is no rust on the interior paned, so maybe just hit it with some more paint to keep it that way. Don't bother to sandblast it if the original paint is still in good shape. Isn't it great what our Canadian winters do to these vehicles? :) Good luck.

there is also a paint on the market that converts rust into a primer-type material through a chemical process- any decent body shop should carry it or be able to get it.

Eastwood has a paint/primer that does that, it is called "eastwood rust inhibitor" or you can use this stuff called "osfo" (sp). I have used both an the eastwood stuff works well and you can paint over it if you want. The osfo has to cleaned off and then primed and painted afterwards.

-
Back