floor shift/console bracket locations

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
someone said that at 1 time there was a diagram posted, with dimensions, to install the floor shift and console brackets when changing to a floor shifter from a column shift. i could not seem to find it. would it be possible to locate the pivot that goes thru the tunnel 1st and then back track from there? tia. rick w.

would it be possible to locate the pivot that goes thru the tunnel 1st and then back track from there? tia. rick w.
Back when my friend and I retrofitted auto consoles into cars not born with 'em, we did just that--started at the stamped area for the pivot shaft. We were kids and figured, "How hard could it be?!!"
We cut out the pivot-shaft area using the bezel as a guide, then installed the bracket on the trans for the pivot shaft. Next, we connected the linkage to the transmission, followed by the linkage to the shifter. With the shifter bolted to its bracketry and everything in "park", we then screwed the bracket to the floor where it fit best and adjusted the linkage and/or bracket positioning before final welding. The rear console bracket's contact area with the tunnel got slathered in paint while bolted to the console, then carefully set in place around the shifter while the paint was still wet. That left paint spots on the tunnel so we knew where the bracket needed to be welded.
We never had a template nor measured a damned thing, but got stellar results each time. Back when nobody looked at numbers, installing a floor shift and console added real value come sale time.

Similar to above answers. I didn’t have carpet on the console yet. The hole for the torque shaft through the floor has dimples for the boot screws. I set the shifter assembly in place first, and then I attached the front and rear bracket to the console, centered it up between the seats, then tack welded them to the floor.

Same here too, Some of th dimensions weren't making sense on my floor, so I just worked backwards to figure it out. Put the shifter in first and then found where the console needed to be and went from there.

That’s how I did it on one of my cars. I left the top plates off when I was positioning it.
someone said that at 1 time there was a diagram posted, with dimensions, to install the floor shift and console brackets when changing to a floor shifter from a column shift. i could not seem to find it. would it be possible to locate the pivot that goes thru the tunnel 1st and then back track from there? tia. rick w.

I use a knockout punch to make the hole for the pivot shaft. The center is marked on the floorpan as is the screw holes. One that is in you can go off that to locate the rest of it.

-
Back