Floor shifter options for 727??

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last Saturday I was given a freshly rebuilt 727 to put in my 64 dart, so I will have to get a floor shifter for it since I can't see how to make it work with the push button shifter.
I got online and was hit with option overload... I'm looking for recommendations, pictures are a big help too if you can share. I would like to have gear indicator and safety gate but aside from that I don't know what I'm looking for..

Still a work in progress, but I just mounted a B&M pro ratchet in my 66 Dart. This is the 4th one I've used and have great luck with them in the past. Some folks don't care for the one-at-a-time nature of a ratcheting shifter though.

In case you didn't already know, when you install the 727 you may have to "massage" the pichweld at the firewall-transmission tunnel interface.

1683596153639.png

I'm not sure if the early A's are a different animal, but the linkage, brackets and coffin style consoles are a pretty straight forward install on the later stuff.

Sabre67 beat me to it. There is a LOT to like with the Winters. 727/904 specific (not a universal fit), rear cable entry, to keep the cable away from exhaust heat, unbreakable, been around for 50 years, and a virtual twin to the cheetah, except it comes with a cover that the turbo action doesn't have.... and it's $300 (almost) cheaper. Even can get one for a reverse valve body. It is big and clunky looking.... but it's inexpensive, and bulletproof.
(And like mopowers, I've got a couple b&m ratchets, I love em, but lots of people don't like the ratchet action. They are better for racing than a gated shifter, imo. Too bad they've doubled in price, but what hasn't? )

Off topic, but I hope it isn't a 727 built in '68 or later; especially if you're going to mate it to your original '64 motor. The convertor nose and the crankshaft recess for it changed diameter in '68, so mixing between the two is not a bolt-together affair. A later convertor requires the pocket in the early crank flange to be machined larger (or a later crank installed). And no, you can't use the early convertor on the later transmission, either, since they changed the input spline count at that time, too (although I assume you're replacing a 904, so that convertor wouldn't fit anyway).
If you're already running a later model motor, you'll be okay; and you can forget I even brought it up. :)
P.S. You do know about the ball & trunnion vs slip yoke differences on the output shafts, and the speedometer drive differences?

Last edited:
Off topic, but I hope it isn't a 727 built in '68 or later; especially if you're going to mate it to your original '64 motor. The convertor nose and the crankshaft recess for it changed diameter in '68, so mixing between the two is not a bolt-together affair. A later convertor requires the pocket in the early crank flange to me machined larger (or a later crank installed). And no, you can't use the early convertor on the later transmission, either, since they changed the input spline count at that time, too (although I assume you're replacing a 904, so that convertor wouldn't fit anyway).
If you're already running a later model motor, you'll be okay; and you can forget I even brought it up. :)
Original motor was a slant six, I've got a magnum 360 in it now. I had to get a machined adapter bushing from torque flight Patty to make the current transmission fit so this 727 will let me eliminate that bushing.
It also comes with a 10-in converter that has 2,200 RPM stamped on it and I am looking forward to using it, because my cam never really was a big fan of the stock converter as this current transmission came from a 1965 belvedere with a 273. It bogs down a bit when you put it in drive so I have to keep the idle a little high for neutral to be right when it's in gear.
As for the speedometer, the needle and drive are both broken off of mine and I've been having a hard time finding replacement so the later model with easier to find parts will be welcome. Same goes for the drive shaft situation. I already tossed the ball and trunnion in favor of a Spicer slip yoke but even that can go away with this new transmission.

Last edited:
Last Saturday I was given a freshly rebuilt 727 to put in my 64 dart, so I will have to get a floor shifter for it since I can't see how to make it work with the push button shifter.
I got online and was hit with option overload... I'm looking for recommendations, pictures are a big help too if you can share. I would like to have gear indicator and safety gate but aside from that I don't know what I'm looking for..
Imperial Services offers a kit for using later transmissions with your factory push buttons, IS-354.
Imperial Services - '60-'76 A-Body Parts

No way!! That's awesome! I will check that out, was sad about the thought of giving up on the novelty of the push button shifter
They don't list a price, but since it's available... They do tend to be a bit pricey sometimes, but I haven't seen any other sources for a conversion. I believe it's a one-man show, so I think the phone number at the top left of the page would be my first move.

-
Back