Flowmaster drone

-

arh

Reaction score
I hate my current exhaust. 69 barracuda convertible, stock 318 with manifolds, 2 1/4 into an x pipe with flowmaster 40's to stock tips. Too loud, terrible drone. Would adding glass packs or resonators help?I thought that would be an inexpensive fix. Plenty of room to add them before the mufflers. Would that help or would they need to be after the mufflers?

Small resonators at the very back is what you want.

x2.or if your up for spending a little extra you could swap mufflers.if you look on ebay for xlerator they are a fully welded straight tru at a great price.or jones makes a magnaflow copy called a max flow for about 35 bucks,fully welded stainless made in the usa.

when i bought my 74' dart it had the same setup. everything else bone stock and stupid (for this car) muffler choice. i changed them to the cheepest turbo mufflers the local place had and it was much better

X3......only behind the mufflers.

Loud is a lot easier to fix then drone. Sometimes you can get rid of it and sometimes you only move it around......lol. Just getting it out of your normal cruise rpm itself can be a big relief.

I'm sure you've done this, but make sure all the mounts/brackets have some form of isolation and that you don't have a pipe resting on something magnifying the sound.

Pipes should be shorter than 5 feet between an expansion point, like a resonator or muffler. Those 50 Chevy low riders with 12 feet of straight pipe all the way to the back sound like a drummer playing a 5 gallon bucket. I think this info was on the magna-flow website at one time.

Suggest you swap your mufflers for some of the new Dynomax VT's if you run out of other options. they are offered in sizes that will fit right on that car and they will work very well.
Tom

Step 1: Get rid of the Flowmasters

Step 2: Replace them with anything but Flowmasters. Fixed! :D

Bought the walker turbo mufflers from summit for $ 19.95 and they are quiter and sound better than the flowmasters with little to no drone.

Used to be a Flopmaster fan,SOOO nuch better out there.Magnagarbage,worse.Really liking the Dynomax stuff the last 4 or 5 years........

i like the cheapo thrush welded mufflers 35 buck ranges name brand not loud has a good rumble tho my fake flow master have the drone and are super loud neighborhood complains when i got to work at 6:50am.

thats with true duels and duel tips so 4 exits.

I have TTI full 3inch X-pipe exhaust on my cuda with dynomax VT's.

NO DRONE and good muscle care sound. Couldn't be happier.

Step 1: Get rid of the Flowmasters

Step 2: Replace them with anything but Flowmasters. Fixed! :D

I'm with you on this. Flowmaster 40s drone is another one of those things that comes up fairly often but people keep putting them on.

Almost like SS springs and the questions about a stiff ride and the car sitting high on one side, but people keep putting them on.

-
Back