fluid type for A-518

-
so if that accumulator spring is a must have why did the cars putting out the most power come without it? lol obviously because it shifts better without it is my guess

....NOT.......I've only had 4 440-6 and 2 hemi trannys apart in my life......all had an acc spring....up inside the case inside the acc.. not the normal spring found on every run of the mill trannys that is sandwiched in between the vb and acc......this is my own experiance.....also the valve bodies are programed different in the 440-6 and hemi cars....diff govenor weights too............................kim.........

oh well then the article i read a mopar magazine was wrong then, it was the no bucks 727 transmission hop ups article, and it says take the pan off, drain the oil, remove the valvle body and unless you have a factory 440-6 or 426 hemi car there will be an accumulator spring an it says to throw it in the trash. lol not saying its the right choice to throw it away, i'm just pointing out what i have read in a mopar magazine.

I installed a Martin Saine VB on a 46re and he gave me a short spacer (piece of pipe) to go in the accumulator instead of installing the spring back in. I kept the spring however. The trans would shift pretty hard. I don't know if removing the spring made it shift like that or just the VB or little of both. Maybe someone can explain the purpose of the spacer.

I installed a Martin Saine VB on a 46re and he gave me a short spacer (piece of pipe) to go in the accumulator instead of installing the spring back in. I kept the spring however. The trans would shift pretty hard. I don't know if removing the spring made it shift like that or just the VB or little of both. Maybe someone can explain the purpose of the spacer.

It was probably a combination of both that made it shift super firm. The spacer is needed because without it the accumulator piston would slam back and forth when hydraulic pressure hits it. Without a spacer to hold the piston stationary it will eventually break.

oh well then the article i read a mopar magazine was wrong then, it was the no bucks 727 transmission hop ups article, and it says take the pan off, drain the oil, remove the valvle body and unless you have a factory 440-6 or 426 hemi car there will be an accumulator spring an it says to throw it in the trash. lol not saying its the right choice to throw it away, i'm just pointing out what i have read in a mopar magazine.

Doing away with the spring does make it shift firmer going into 2nd gear. You just gotta install a spacer rod to hold the piston in place or it'll break.

got it now lol, i have a ransgo shift kit as i have told ya before, hopefully i can find somone to install it for me? or hopefully i can find a how to step by step video of how to do it then i could do it myself.
fishy you are still opposed to useing typef or the newer dexronVI in the A-518 with non lock up converter right? From 89-93 the A-518s were factory filled with dexronIII, the mopar atf + 7176 fluid was not made untill 1994, when dodge made the A-518 more electronically controlled with the lock up converters that would lock and unlock with a speed or rpm sensor, thats when dodge realized the dexronIII could not handle the heat of the lock up going in and out and it was eating the converter clutches, this is what my builder told me.....
He said if its an A-518 made from 89-93 dexronIII is totally fine to run in the A-518 and so is pretty much any other fluid specially if its a non lock up A-518 made from89-93 wich mine was made in 1991 and it is a factory non lock up.

so with that being said, and suppose its true wich fluid would you prefer the type f or the newer dewxronVI or the plain old dexronIII?

got it now lol, i have a ransgo shift kit as i have told ya before, hopefully i can find somone to install it for me? or hopefully i can find a how to step by step video of how to do it then i could do it myself.
fishy you are still opposed to useing typef or the newer dexronVI in the A-518 with non lock up converter right? From 89-93 the A-518s were factory filled with dexronIII, the mopar atf + 7176 fluid was not made untill 1994, when dodge made the A-518 more electronically controlled with the lock up converters that would lock and unlock with a speed or rpm sensor, thats when dodge realized the dexronIII could not handle the heat of the lock up going in and out and it was eating the converter clutches, this is what my builder told me.....
He said if its an A-518 made from 89-93 dexronIII is totally fine to run in the A-518 and so is pretty much any other fluid specially if its a non lock up A-518 made from89-93 wich mine was made in 1991 and it is a factory non lock up.

I never said I was opposed to using type F or ATF+4. You must have me confused with someone else. Why do you need a video to know how to install the trans-go kit? It comes with complete step by step instructions.

i guess i do not have to have a video, a video just seems like it would make it a little easier, this would be my fisrt time evr installing a shift kit, all i have ever done to the transmission is drain and flush the fluid and change the filter.... My old man worked on my auot that i had before this one and now he is gone so i gotta do it myself, and i have been told transgo sells dvd videos with step by step instructions, makes it alot easier when you can accually watch somone do it vs reading what do, at least for me anyways.
And sorry i thought you were one of them who were opposed to using anything but atf+4 in the A-518, out of type f and dexronVI wich one of them fluids would you reccomend using? the dexronVI is compatible to anything calling for dexronIII just like +4 can work in anything calling fro +3, and my transmission got dexronIII as factory fill.
I realize the dexronVI will last alot longer, and handle heat better and flow better in colder and hotter temps but on the other hand type f is alot cheaper and handles heat well and aloows the transmission to shift better.The dexronVI does have some friction modifyers but not as many as +4 and the type f i dont think has any friction modifyers.
My old man ran type f in his 727 and thats what he used relgiously, but im wondering if the dexronVI would be better because of it being a synthetic? and once i have the shift kit installed the transmission will most likely shift firmer no matter what fluid is in it correct?

well the guy who re-built my transmission said no synthetic atfs only dexronIII or atf+3 and he said whoever runs type f in a torqueflight is an idiot.... I hve to strongly disagree with his statement on that subject, the most intelegent mechanic and mopar guy i knew ran type f in the 727 and nothing else and i know for a fact that he was not an idot.
I dont know why he says no to running a synthetic? i said well +4 is a synthetic and thats what dodge says to use, and he said but you have a non lock up converter +4 is so highly friction modyfied that you do not need it, he said you could get away with using +4, but your transmission would not be performing at its best potential on it.
He said dexronIII or +3, preferably dexronIII is has less friction modyfiers then +3, i said what about dexronVI and he said no its a synthetic like it was a bad thing? it pretty much made it sound like running a synthetic is a bad idea same with type f so idk.

i just dont see how type f is a bad idea if the smartest guy i knew ran it? but whatever ill just run regular dexronIII or the valvoline max life atf, even tho its a synthetic and he said no to synthetics? i just dont understand why he says no to a synthetic? i though synthetics were better

what could s synthetic possibly do to my transmission to make it a bad idea? i cant think of anything, all i can think of is the better things it would do for it. He seemed to think dexronIII would be the best possible choice, so if he says dexronIII why wouldnt dexronVI work just as good or better? they say dexronVI can be used in anything calling for dexeronIII just like +4 can be used in anything calling for +3, and dexronIII was factory fill in my transmission back in 1991 so therefore dexronVI should be able to be used.

There is a price difference between ATF+4 and Dex III of VI, but not that much. In the very early 90's Chrysler was discovering that the shear stability and friction properties of Dex was not actually living up to what they ahd originally thought and were transitioning to ATF+3. ATF+4 is of course a synth and continues with the shear and friction properties of ATF+3.

There's no reason to disagree with what Chrysler was finding out with all Torqueflite trannys that the ATF+ line of fluids was technologically better and better suited to the design.

well my transmission builder told me not to run +4 lol, and my old man didnt care for it ether, i remember when it first came out well when valvoline first put it out at my uncles napa parts store that my old man ws the manager of, i said wow this +4 is a synthetic you should try this out in your transmission, and he said no i'll stick to type f, i said whats wrong with the +4 its a synthetic? and he said its not the synthetic part of it that scares me away from it, its all the friction modifyers in it.

but my transmission guy also said no to synthetics in my transmission? i think he is one of those guys who think synthetics do more harm then good, cause i do not see why i couldnt run a synthetic in this transmission? I was told dexronVI by a smart canadian builder i know, and others have told me the valvoline max life atf is the best choice? even tho its brand new? thats whats got me leary bout running the max life atf, its brand new but valvoline claims the max life atf works great in new and older transmissions? i have heard alot of good things about valvolines max life line, there oils and there atf.

-
Back