Flywheel bolt length?

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The flywheel bolts I got for my 318 are 15/16" from tip to bottom of the bolt head. Is this the correct length. They seem to come very close to making contact coming out the back. I am using no type of washer and red loctite is this correct also?

Do you think JB Weld would work instead of bolts?
I still would like to know why no loctite?

The ARP bolts I got said no washers. If they are the stock bolts, put it together like the factory designed. If using aftermarket bolts, install as bolt manufacturer recommends.

I put blue loctite on my flywheel bolts for two reasons:
1) Less likely to back out.
2) Lubricate threads while torquing.

Just make sure the bolt don't protrude out of the crank and hit your pan/rear seal area.

Bolt threads have variuos grades/tolerances. The fine thread flywheel to crank threads are supposed to be grade 5 (not a hardness scale but a machining scale) which provides very little space for loctite between the mating. Then again Chrysler Corp. provided majority of funding for the R&D of locktite, way back when , because they knew production tooling (taps etc..) wears out.
If you do use loctite on those bolts DO NOT apply it to the part of the bolt that extends beyond the crank threads. In other words a drop close to the center of the bolt will do.

Bolt threads have variuos grades/tolerances. The fine thread flywheel to crank threads are supposed to be grade 5 (not a hardness scale but a machining scale) which provides very little space for loctite between the mating. Then again Chrysler Corp. provided majority of funding for the R&D of locktite, way back when , because they knew production tooling (taps etc..) wears out.
If you do use loctite on those bolts DO NOT apply it to the part of the bolt that extends beyond the crank threads. In other words a drop close to the center of the bolt will do.

I use a little on the bolts through the flywheel to crank,pressure plate to flywheel,and some more to the trans to bellhousing for a third reason VIBRATION.I believe it's the blue I use because it doesn't get hard like the red. Also on the motor and trans mounts,like red fish said a little dab will do ya!

If you use J B WELD YOU BETTER GO BACK TO WORKING ON THOSE CHEBBY AND FROGS and the bio gene pool is NOT INTENDED FOR BROTHERS AND SISTERS OR 1ST COUSINS! J B WELD IS NOT FOR THAT PURPOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back