Flywheel ? for the /6 guys

-

moparmarks

zippindippintie
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have this flywheel that came behind my 1975 340 marine motor. Probably a 120 something tooth. Is this the same as /6? Was is the tooth count for the /6 wheel?
Many thanks.

20240305_131418.jpg

20240305_131447.jpg

Nope. The slant 6 CAR flywheel was 122 tooth.

When I said it was "probably 120 something tooth" I meant 120-129 tooth. Not 120.
So 122 tooth. This never had a clutch on it. Had a drive plate bolted to it.

Did you guys have a Sutherlands in GJ? I thought that was local to pueblo
Ya we had one for decades. It closed a few years ago but I was really surprised how long they stayed open after Lowes and Home Depot opened up just down the road.
Pretty Sutherlands started in Kansas.

When I said it was "probably 120 something tooth" I meant 120-129 tooth. Not 120.
So 122 tooth. This never had a clutch on it. Had a drive plate bolted to it.
It's not the tooth count that makes it not work, although with a car slant bell housing, the 122 tooth is all there's room for, it's the crankshaft bolt pattern. The slant 6 has a different pattern.

Oh okay. That makes this well pretty much worthless. Too bad beings that it still has a virgin surface.

Last edited:
Oh okay. That makes this well pretty much worthless. Too bad beings that is still has a virgin surface.
sounds perfect for a sacrifice.

you can bring it by my villain hide out and throw it in the volcano if ya want.

btw, depending on the bolt pattern and the tooth count that might work for an early bell that came in the 64~66 cars...

the slant is symmetrical right? or at least the one i'm looking at here on the bench appears to be and the one in the pic does not.
No sir. It's asemmetrical, but a different pattern. The small block flywheel can be modified to fit, but then, there's the tooth count to get around.

You can drill the one offset hole to make it work with a slant 6.
I have done that with the SFI approved 904 flexplates for the LA engines to have them work with my slants as needed.

What is the center crank flange hole diameter?

@junkyardhero Are you speaking about 273 LA Bellhousings? if so then yes this is the perfect part for those cars.

I had 1965 through 1968 Dodge trucks, with the hydraulic clutch. I thought, whether it was small block V8 or slant six, the bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch were exactly the same. Maybe the flywheel was universal.

I had 1965 through 1968 Dodge trucks, with the hydraulic clutch. I thought, whether it was small block V8 or slant six, the bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch were exactly the same. Maybe the flywheel was universal.
Clutch possibly. Bellhousing no, flywheel no. The bolt pattern on the bell to engine is different, and as stated the bolt holes in the flywheel are different. Also the center hole in the flywheel got larger between 67 and 68, on both the small block and slant six.
Also the bell, flywheel and clutch could be different on the slant (I don't know about the smallblock) depending on what trans was in the truck.

There was a bigger bellhousing on trucks that I believe worked with/6 or small block but that flywheel was much bigger.

There was a bigger bellhousing on trucks that I believe worked with/6 or small block but that flywheel was much bigger.
That bell housing was used with the NP435 (I think that is the number) trans. That is the 4 speed that has the shifter go right into the top of the trans, with a "granny" 1st gear. But I don't believe it has a dual engine bolt pattern. I have that flywheel and clutch on hand, but no bell housing. The flywheel has the slant bolt pattern.

That bell housing was used with the NP435 (I think that is the number) trans. That is the 4 speed that has the shifter go right into the top of the trans, with a "granny" 1st gear. But I don't believe it has a dual engine bolt pattern. I have that flywheel and clutch on hand, but no bell housing. The flywheel has the slant bolt pattern.
I took apart 1965 D100 and 1968 D200 slant 6 to get parts for my 1967 W200 (Small block V8). In both slant 6 engines, the bell housing curved beyond the slant 6 mounting surface with exposed bolt holes, so it could be used with the small block V8. The W200 did have the NP 435, shifter on the floor. Both slant 6 trucks had 3-speed shift on column. I remember all 3 bellhousings being the same. I had thought the flywheels were universal because the bellhousings were the same and the small block 318 and the slant 6 were both internally balanced. I remember the starters also being the same. If I'm wrong, OK.

Of course, now, I take hundreds of pics. Then, I hardly ever took a picture. I put a 1970 Grill on the truck. A welder friend made brackets so I could attach a later front bumper. Wish I hadn't sold it.
DSCN4208.JPG

DSCN4191.JPG

DSCN4193.JPG

I took apart 1965 D100 and 1968 D200 slant 6 to get parts for my 1967 W200 (Small block V8). In both slant 6 engines, the bell housing curved beyond the slant 6 mounting surface with exposed bolt holes, so it could be used with the small block V8. The W200 did have the NP 435, shifter on the floor. Both slant 6 trucks had 3-speed shift on column. I remember all 3 bellhousings being the same. I had thought the flywheels were universal because the bellhousings were the same and the small block 318 and the slant 6 were both internally balanced. I remember the starters also being the same. If I'm wrong, OK.
It is possible I am wrong. Don't have a lot of experience with trucks. My 64 D-100 has a bell housing that would only fit the slant six. Trans is a A-833OD.
I have a flywheel and clutch on hand, that is used with the NP435, and it requires a larger bell housing then the one on my 64 D-100. The flywheel will not fit into the bell on my 64 truck.

Meanwhile back at the ranch.............so this wheel could be used on a 64-66 273?
Maybe, but again, it depends on the tooth count and bell housing size. The 273 used a 122 tooth flywheel too, so if it's bigger than that, it may not work.

-
Back