Flywheel Identification

-

75greenduster

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a flywheel he will give me if I can use it; however, he does not know what kind of motor it came from. How do I tell if it came from a 360? If I'm going to have my motor externally balanced, I assume I can only use a 360 flywheel. The only numbers on it are B228...not sure what this means exactly. It has metal drilled out in two different spots, so it looks like it is from an externally balanced motor but not sure.

externally balanced ones have a weight welded to it. I think about 40 grams. its about 2-3 inches long. the holes drilled outcould be for balancing a flywheel. don't know without seeing it.

The 360 motor used ONLY the Detroit balanced (external) flywheel, the same as the '72-'73 340 with the cast crank.This P/N flywheel was unique to the 360 only, according to my sources**. Please note that if you use a different flywheel (than the one that came with the motor), you MUST have the crank, damper and flywheel balanced as an assembly! The correct P/N for your 360 is 3410916. Hope this helps.

**How to Rebuild Smallblock Mopar Engines; pp.44 Taylor/Hofer

There arent any weights attached to it, so I guess that means its probably not from a 360. I havent had the motor balanced yet, so I guess the machine shop could ad weight to make it work. Am I correct in thinking that even if this isnt an externally balanced flywheel I could still use it if I have the motor balanced with it?

Guys, I'm sorry, but that's NOT how the MoPar flywheels are balanced.
A 340 cast crank flywheel is NOT the same as 360!

A 360 flywheel is pretty easy to spot, it will have 3 large holes, @ an inch or so in size, drilled into the backside of the flywheel, spaced about mid-point of the perimeter and the center.
A 340 C.C. flywheel has smaller holes drilled into the the back, which are spaced more to the outer perimeter of the flywheel.

75greenduster, since you are having the engine balanced, have the people doing the balancing balance the flywheel with your assembly.
This will negate all the extra hassles and cut down on the expense to find the "correct" flywheel for your application.

Mark.

First ,see if it fit the crank and bolts up.
Does the ring gear looks like it will come close to the starter to work.
Post a picture of the flywheel to be sure.
The 360 from the factory had a special balanced flywheel,and are very rare to find.
Heres the cool news.Mopar has and so do I a list of pictures on how to use all the flywheels on any motor.
What happens is this,if you have a regular flywheel and want to install it on a 360,340,400,what ever,you get a hold of the pictures and drill at certain places and a depth that is set to balance the flywheel on any applacation.
If you have externally balanced motor and have a internally balanced flywheel,you can redrill it and have it perfect if you follow the instructions to the letter.
Now if you want these pictures,I can send them to you if you send me your email address.
The mopar performance books have these diagrams in them if some has the mopar bible,I have 2 plus the full set of new books as well.
The number that captain kirk gave is right for the 71&74 360
The flywheel to get and do this drilling is 2264598 to interchange to any motor as long as you drill it to spec.Mrmopartech

I think my post was misinterpreted. What I meant was that the '72-'73 340 also used a Detroit-balanced flywheel of a different part number that is NOT interchangeable with the 360 flywheel. Sorry for any confusion....

Heres a pic

flywheel2.jpg

75greenduster, if I'm seeing the photo correctly, that appears to be a slant 6 flywheel.
ANY V-8 flywheel will have 2 holes that are closer together, it's dead obvious once you see one.

A slant 6 flywheel will bolt to a small (or big) block, but one hole will be half off, no matter how many times you turn it to the next bolt hole.

I'd still get any (V-8 ) 10.5" flywheel you can lay your hands upon and have it balanced with the assembly when it's done.
You'd be far better off and it WON'T shake.

SEE PIC FOR DETAILS REGARDING THE 2 CLOSER BOLT HOLES AND THE BALANCING HOLES!!
Pictured is an 11" truck flywheel, but the layout for a car 10.5" is the same.

Mark.

11 inch 360 FW.jpg

Hi,
I just signed up as a member and found this when I was searching. I'd appreciate if I could get the pics for externally balancing my 2264598 flywheel for my 1973 340 cast crank. Please let me know how to send you my e-mail.
Thanks

Mrmopartech said:
First ,see if it fit the crank and bolts up.
Does the ring gear looks like it will come close to the starter to work.
Post a picture of the flywheel to be sure.
The 360 from the factory had a special balanced flywheel,and are very rare to find.
Heres the cool news.Mopar has and so do I a list of pictures on how to use all the flywheels on any motor.
What happens is this,if you have a regular flywheel and want to install it on a 360,340,400,what ever,you get a hold of the pictures and drill at certain places and a depth that is set to balance the flywheel on any applacation.
If you have externally balanced motor and have a internally balanced flywheel,you can redrill it and have it perfect if you follow the instructions to the letter.
Now if you want these pictures,I can send them to you if you send me your email address.
The mopar performance books have these diagrams in them if some has the mopar bible,I have 2 plus the full set of new books as well.
The number that captain kirk gave is right for the 71&74 360
The flywheel to get and do this drilling is 2264598 to interchange to any motor as long as you drill it to spec.Mrmopartech

I need help doing the same. I have a neutral balance flywheel and want to drill it out for my 1973 340. Any suggestions? Thank you

-
Back