Flywheel register hole.

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I'm converting a 1965, 225 Automatic (904) to a A833 4 speed. I have a slant 6 flywheel with a 9.250 clutch/pressure plate assembly. The register hole in the flywheel measures at 2.125", the protruding flange on the crank shaft measures at 2.0," the flywheel bolt pattern matches the crank shaft bolt pattern. What am I dealing with here?
Norm

I'm converting a 1965, 225 Automatic (904) to a A833 4 speed. I have a slant 6 flywheel with a 9.250 clutch/pressure plate assembly. The register hole in the flywheel measures at 2.125", the protruding flange on the crank shaft measures at 2.0," the flywheel bolt pattern matches the crank shaft bolt pattern. What am I dealing with here?
Norm
You have a '68 & up flywheel, You need a hub spacer ring to locate it precisely, the '67 & down cranks have smaller hubs & converter pockets. The common issue is a later crank/engine needs the internal ring to put it into a pre-'68 to keep the smaller converter snout centered, but You have the inverse & external hub fitment issue.

You have a '68 & up flywheel, You need a hub spacer ring to locate it precisely, the '67 & down cranks have smaller hubs & converter pockets. The common issue is a later crank/engine needs the internal ring to put it into a pre-'68 to keep the smaller converter snout centered, but You have the inverse & external hub fitment issue.
Off hand, would you know of a source for a hub spacer? I'm quite sure you are right about the flywheel being a "68 and up." It came with the aluminum bell housing that I have had to modify with a register adapter. My A833 is a 65, with the small input shaft support.
Norm

Off hand, would you know of a source for a hub spacer? I'm quite sure you are right about the flywheel being a "68 and up." It came with the aluminum bell housing that I have had to modify with a register adapter. My A833 is a 65, with the small input shaft support.
Norm
I'm not sure if Greg @slant six , or @Charrlie_S has any made up, or knows who might.

The only thing I am aware of is the adapter ring that fits inside the 68 and later crank register and sizes it for the earlier smaller torque converter hub. I wasn't aware anyone made one to fit on the OD of the early crank register to adapt the later flywheel. Certainly wouldn't be difficult to make.

-
Back