fm3 coded 340 auto duster resto...............

-
That is a big job. You have done a lot of different work on car here in the forums. I look forward to seeing more.

few more

as you can see, if you look into the inside of the rail. it is toast in there!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 772
  • 002.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 783
Heres a pic of my FM3 70 340 Duster 3 speed manual..all numbers match..factory buckets (charcoal) J81 spoiler, bumper guards..etc..
Painted maroon in the 80's...needs to go back to Panther Pink!!!

Attachments

• now maroon.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 752
well, i have been working in my garage on the duster. but realized that it is supposed to rain tonight and all day tommorow. shoot. now i will have to pull the inner and frame rail out of donor car in the rain!!!!!!!!. well, good thing i cought it in time. i am hoping to have the framerail out of donor car before rain hits tonight.

on my duster, i seen that the front piece of the inner fender had a few small pnholes of rust, so i decided to cut that out too, and leave that attaced to the inner and frame rail.

to save some time, so i do not have to take out the master cylinder and other stuff, i just cut the donor car at the cowl, and once it is out i will cut the spotwelds at the inner fender

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 719
  • 005.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 746
  • 004.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 715
  • 003.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 714
ok, so, i posted a little while ago, that i was going to take the inner fender and frame rail out of the scamp donor. all said and done, including taking the k-frame out, i think it took like 2 to 2.5 hours to remove the frame rail. i am happy!. now tonight i can finish taking out the one in pinky. going alot easier than i thought. i am sooooooooo glad i decided to do it the right way

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 725
  • 008.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 729
  • 009.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 722
  • 010.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 698
Looking forward to see that good metal put back on the pink car. I would put fenders, doors, and hood on before final welding to make sure it all lines up. You might want to PM user 4404spd he welded an entire front section onto a '69 Barracuda and he is a body man by trade. I am sure he could provide good advice.

well, i did take a ton of measurements, and already set the new section in as a test fit, and it almost lines up 100% as the one i took out. which is great for me!.

on a side note, maybe this is what i needed, was to actually put some hard blood and swaet into one of these car, and may teach me some type of more self worth of one of these cars. i usually do not become attached to them, that is why it becomes easy for me to sell them after fixing one up. but i have never gotten into one like this, and i am already attached in a way i thought i would neve be, into a car.
i know i have a long way to go, and i will get there, and i am actually enjoying this hard work, and i learn even more than i know now!

man, this car is kicking my arse!
not with the work, but yet, it is 4 am and i am laying in bed, but cannot sleep. all i can do is lay here and cannot stop thinking about how this car will look when done, whow to get the rest of the goodie parts i need. i have not gotten to sleep before 5 am every single night since i got this car!. i guess it is the excitement. and adrenaline.lol

Unfortunately plot.. you've officially been infected lol.. Looking good. Cripes, even I'm dreamin about this one :)

grant

not with the work, but yet, it is 4 am and i am laying in bed, but cannot sleep. all i can do is lay here and cannot stop thinking about how this car will look when done, whow to get the rest of the goodie parts i need. i have not gotten to sleep before 5 am every single night since i got this car!. i guess it is the excitement. and adrenaline.lol

Ha! I do that alot with my car. Cool project you got going.

well, got 10 minutes of the rain stopping, so i blasted the crap out of the new inner and frame rail

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 659
What size, brand blaster are you using?

I was the same way when I was working on my duster- it consumed every available brain wave lol.

Glad to see that you are doing it right, this car deserves a full resto to it's former glory.
Keep up the good work!
Yeah, once they get under your skin, there's no turning back.....

What size, brand blaster are you using?

i am using the big 100 lb blaster from harbor frieght. was like 139.99 it is good, but i started with a 10 ft. hose. i am down to like 7 ft. now. cause the way the sand goes through the hose, it blows a hole right out the side after about 2 hrs of use. so, it has its flaws, but the price i could not beat it. plus, near me, i get the 100 lb bags of 000 sand for 5 bucks a bag. i used 6 bags so far. need to go get more!

now test fitting the new replacement in place...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 640
  • 003.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 620
Looks great 340! I feel your pain :) I was attached to my car before, now that iv'e gotten this deep into it I think they are going to have to bury me in it :D

To anyone else who has to remove stuff at the front clip, i've found that 340Plot's method of cutting close before removing spot welds to be the best. It takes the structural integrity out of the piece that's coming off, making it much less likely to damage the piece that needs to stay. Much easier to cut spot welds and lightly chisel out a thin strip than risk shredding and tearing the metal that needs to stay. Also makes it easier to get at different angles minimizing damage. Also works well with the spot welded portion of floor pans.

Only piece iv'e found that this method isn't easier with is removing firewall, for some reason it seems to be easier to cut all the spot welds and take a BFH to it.

Keep up the great work 340 i'll be watching!

-
Back