Focusing on my Duster

-

DustinsDuster

Reaction score
I'm new here, thought i would introduce myself. I'm Dustin, and i have a '72 Duster. Story starts when i was 18 and found this Duster in a schoolmate's backyard. it was an original 340 car, but the engine was gone. His father and my grandfather knew eachother well, and after some talking, i got the car for $900. i was giddy, but i soon realized how deep in it i was. turns out the kid was kindof a dumbass, and shot the driverside window out with a BB gun for no reason. Water had sat in the floors for a couple of years, and this is what i got to deal with when i pulled the carpet:

tAND8m1.jpg

Xu1Q7pX.jpg

iTjIooZ.jpg

someone also decided to cut in a sunroof at some point in the car's life. under the vinyl top, this is what it looked like:
p7400MW.jpg

at 18 years old i had very little experience with metal work, but the point was to learn, so i dove in. I was very lucky to have my grandparents' shop to work in. they had a circle track car, and lent me a stall in the big shop for the better part of a year:
1okLuuU.jpg

0BltDP9.jpg

wqQgvyF.jpg

bhrvmcN.jpg

i scored a complete '77 360 for the 340 exhaust manifolds that were still on the car(along with the Sears "Muzzler" mufflers, HAH!) and we got to work on that. i had the machine work done at a local shop, and my grandfather and i assembled it. i dropped the coin on a pair of Edelbrock heads and Air-Gap intake. we had an old Crane valvetrain in a drawer, but it was for W2 heads. i bought the 8 straight intake rockers and had the rocker stands machined down. grandpa had an engine stand they used to break in their race engines, so we got to break mine in out of the car. pretty cool experience:

rfKv2Rd.jpg

GtoHxHp.jpg

WbEz28D.jpg

dqDkk9K.jpg

save for a few hiccups, i got the car running, and it actually ran pretty good. my two friends each had decently quick cars, a 5.0L Mustang and an S10 with a 350, but they both quickly got put in their place by my rust bucket Duster. with the mild RV cam, 2200 stall, and 3.23 gears, the car ran bottom 13's all day long through the exhaust on 91 octane. got a best pass of 12.95 at 104 on this setup with a 1.94 60'. not bad for Radial TA tires and $9 shocks on warn out leaf springs:

qp0mDzw.jpg

FvBifVQ.jpg

bAJSH4o.jpg

xFC8Yfh.jpg

oOENocp.jpg

jSl9nWs.jpg

over the next few years, i did more mods. i got a ratchet shifter after my warn out stock shifter banged my car back and forth between 2nd and 3rd a few times at the track. i swapped to 3.91 gears and got some sticky tires. we found out the cam i had was warped and pretty much stuck itself in the block. motor came out and i had a custom Comp solid flat tappet cam ground. i also upgraded to a 3000 stall B&M converter, and a pair of S/S leaf springs. i got a killer deal on an A1000 fuel pump, and went totally overboard on my fuel system. with this setup, the car would run mid 12's in the 100 degree summer heat all day still on 91 octane. in the fall i got it down to 12.47 at 109. in hindsight, i shouldve gone with a 3500 stall, the car just hooked too hard and took a second to really get into its power band. I scored another good deal on a used nitrous set up, and borrowed a carb plate from a friend. i took it to an all night drags event for street cars having no idea what to expect. my friend put the bottle in his girlfriend's car with the heater blowing on it while i sat in the staging lanes. we would sprint the bottle back to my car and hook it up just in time to get up to the line. I got lined up against a cocky guy in a mid 80's Thunderbird SC who told me he could piss on my bottle to keep it warm and laughed. i just smiled and quietly idled up to the line(my car sounded like a work truck at low RPM with cheap Summit mufflers. awesome). his car launched pretty good, but i don't think he was expecting it when i walked right past him and never looked back. he didn't say anything else to me the rest of the night. i ended up running an 11.47 and an 11.44 in a motorcycle helmet, T shirt, stock lap belts and no roll bar to speak of. They never said anything to me about it, and i went home a happy guy:

h6RoGaH.jpg

O3PDr4Q.jpg

IjaEVwD.jpg

6JmAU9i.jpg

Nu5kbAb.jpg

ebIXgZB.jpg

g8eBhRf.jpg

after all this came the faithful night when a friend wanted me to race his '03 Cobra. i knew his car had run bottom 11's at least, but thought i could hook well enough on the street to get him. My car broke loose for the first time ever on the launch, shot up to 7kRPM and started making a lot of racket from the engine. it turned out a rocker arm adjuster had backed out, and it was just flopping around. i probably couldve just put it back together and kept running it, but seeing as i was already running WELL under the allowed time with no cage, i decided to park the car and really get to work on it. that was about 8 years ago. originally my plan was to build a nasty stroker small block out of an old W2 head engine from my grandparents' racecar, but i realized that no matter how fast i ran with it, it would still just be pretty quick...for a small block. then i stumbled upon a family friend who owned another shop. in the back of his garage, i saw a dusty old engine on a stand and i asked him about it. he replied, "That engine needs to end up in your Duster". a deal was struck, and he ended up selling me everything Mopar that he had. The engine is a 400 B block with Brodix B1 heads. apparently it came out of a '65 Dodge station wagon in the mid 90's, and supposedly would push the 5000lb wagon to bottom 10's/high 9's just on the motor. he also threw in a Powerglide trans with a 4500 stall, trans brake and reverse manual valvebody. the motor had broken the bell of the trans, but he had a spare case to go with it. i ended up with a lot of parts i didnt need/want and was able to sell to recoup some of my money. Nothing much else happened as i moved to a new house and built a garage/shop to work on everything in. i just turned 30, and a friend sold me a 4-Link rear subframe that he cut out of his abandonded project car for next to nothing, and it sparked motivation to get back to work on my Duster. as spring comes, i plan to really dive back into the car when i can get it out of storage and to my new house. i look forward to sharing the build with everyone!

wiuyTwK.jpg

uknglR5.jpg

ekn75lH.jpg

lf2SMD4.jpg

dPRvmkD.jpg

Eo7lZ8F.jpg

BdPVZit.jpg

sorry for the huge pics guys, should have them all fixed now. BTW, my other project- '88 Dodge Ram 50 with a Mitsu 4G63T(Eclipse/Talon/Laser turbo engine) swap, T56 6 speed, Ford Explorer 8.8 rear. Truck has ran as well 13.40 on street tires and stock boost with 4.10 gears and only a 2.2 60' time. now it has 4.88 gears to compensate for the transmission's tall V8 gearing. just a couple pics, i welcome questions and feedback:

SpkbEwj.jpg

7GM20OI.jpg

jA17LxH.jpg

A2unXKu.jpg

8otfwTh.jpg

IU54FFM.jpg

WfndF8G.jpg

B3PnDRd.jpg

G2jHuYX.jpg

How did you change the front over to 5 lug on your ram 50? My dad has been wanting to do it on his.

I used the hubs from an '89 2wd Toyota pickup and ground the pads on my spindles to centerthe caliper bracket. I guess you can also use mid 90's Tacoma hubs, but you end up having to machine spacers instead of grinding the mounting pads. Might be a better option, as you could dial in the spacing easier. I'll see if I can find the pics from when I did it.

-
Back