Footbrake to transbrake comparison

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I hear guys say all the time ohhh my car would be a lot faster with a transbrake. Well my son is driving his buddies small block duster this weekend at Dragway 42 and here’s his two time trials today. Top slip is footbrake and bottom slip is transbrake.
DBF7C35A-C880-415B-A9C3-E03C0F87D61B.jpeg

A transbrake will make a FAST car more consistent.
consistency is always faster.

I'm pretty sure it was Don (B3422w5) that has posted several times that his old Duster was no faster off a brake than foot braking.

Just my opinion... 2 tests do not make a statistically accurate comparison.

This car is double classed almost weekly so what you see is common. I’ve footbraked my car and was shocked how well it run that way too. My car leaves pretty hard so I can’t leave on the third yellow so I’m setting it up with an adjustable transbrake button so I can run no box class when I want to. The adjustable button will give me enough delay to see the third yellow.

I'm pretty sure it would be against the rules but...
How about a trans brake and a camera that watches the tree and will release the trans brake at just the right moment. Take the fun and human out of the pucture!

My experience was that the car was a hair faster off the brake, compared to foot braking, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 tenth. But the DRIVER was much more consistent using the brake. (And the brake was lots more fun, too!)

A lot has to do with the overall car tune - carb, converter, suspension, etc. Some set-ups happen to work well with a trans brake and footbrake. Others don't.

A transbrake will make a FAST car more consistent.
consistency is always faster.
Consistency is being able to expect the same thing out of your car.
Consistency wins rounds.
It doesn't mean it's faster.

When I switched to trans brake my 60 ft became consistent which helped the car but didn't give it enough time to get a handle on cutting a light

Consistency wins rounds.
sleep at the line and tell me who beats you through the trap.
There's fast and there's fast.

I'm pretty sure it was Don (B3422w5) that has posted several times that his old Duster was no faster off a brake than foot braking.

yep...raced a 10.0 index on 400 protree for years, season points deal.That same night they had a footbrake bracket race. Car ran identical either way. 1.34/1.35 either way and same ET.
If the convertor is right for the car, either way should make little if any difference. At least rhat was my experience on a well sorted 9 sec ride.
I am soon to find out with my current car. Broke the 8.75 today.
Dana coming..and will use my brake, and foot soon.

yep...raced a 10.0 index on 400 protree for years, season points deal.That same night they had a footbrake bracket race. Car ran identical either way. 1.34/1.35 either way and same ET.
If the convertor is right for the car, either way should make little if any difference. At least rhat was my experience on a well sorted 9 sec ride.

Sorry to hear about the rearend issues. Did it break at the line in low gear??? Hopefully the spag is ok.

If i remember right you were waiting on the dana to use the brake in this car, hoping not to break the 8 3/4. Oops. Guess dana time has come.
Sorry for the disappointing weekend!

on

Sorry you broke you rear end Don, I was afraid it was on borrowed time. Been there done that and have the $2k receipt that came with it.

I think my car was consistently faster, and the driver a little better, because the transbrake made the routine simpler. Instead of staging (or pre-staging) and then trying to find the right, and the same, rpm to leave off the footbrake, with the transbrake i just staged and floored the throttle. Same rpm every time, car hooked, i could concentrate sooner and easier on the light. Took the carburator pump circuit variable out of the equasion too.

I think my car was consistently faster, and the driver a little better, because the transbrake made the routine simpler. Instead of staging (or pre-staging) and then trying to find the right, and the same, rpm to leave off the footbrake, with the transbrake i just staged and floored the throttle. Same rpm every time, car hooked, i could concentrate sooner and easier on the light. Took the carburator pump circuit variable out of the equasion too.

In my blue Duster i only used the brake on pro tree’s. On full tree’s i always footed the car. Tried both ways extensively before deciding i was better and more consistent off the foot on full trees.
Disagree entirely about less going on in the routine using a brake. To me, there way WAY more going on using the brake.
With me, no matter the combo, i have always just bumped in and turned on the first bulb, bring the car up to 2k( easy mark to see on tach) suspension is relaxed, not tensed at that Rpm, then creep in off the brake. Now i am set no matter if i am faster or slower car.
When using the brake, much more going on( at least it seems like it to me)
Turn on first bulb, then turn on second bulb, decide when you are going to the mat, especially if you are waiting on a slower car you don't want to be on the chip forever, push the button prior to putting your foot to the floor( not a natural thought process for me, then let go of the button.
Less moving parts at the hit..for sure....but much more thought needed prior to the hit.
I am not some stud driver..i have several liabilities.. major one being i am blind in my left eye. But in all the years i have raced at my home track, most always against very good drivers using brakes( And team 131 generally is the bracket finals champ in our division most every year) i would say i am at the very worst mid pack, or maybe better... part time racing off the foot against those guys. For work reasons i havent been able to race points, because i miss too many races. But the only year i have ever raced points, i did make the bracket finals team as a footbraker.
Long story short, one shoe doesn't fit everybody,maybe its because my eye effects my brain thinking about a lot of things at once when staging with a brake, but to me..footbraking is way more deliberate and relaxing...and i have yet to see it play any factor in how my cars have run.
No matter how you launch the car, foot or brake, the car is still seeing the same flash point of the convertor.....
If i foot at 2k with a 5k flash vert, car still runs 3 k more before it hits.
If i have chip set at 3500 using brake, car still is gonna hit at 5k, not at 3500 where the chip is at.
Sometimes car is actually faster “ seeing more room” between those two points than less, if that makes sense. Especially heavier cars.
Example, my S/S spring 9 sec Duster ran faster launching it at 2k off the foot than at 3k off the foot, because the springs were not all “ hunched up” at the lower rpm and worked better at the hit that way.....

your results might vary...lol

Last edited:
A lot of good points here.. I run two different classes and a brake is only legal in one of them. I have considered a brake for when I run 11.50 index on a 5/10 pro tree but because of the way my car leaves my lights and 60 ft times are as good as the trans brake cars I am running against. I installed a starting line rpm controller and it has helped because I don't have to look at the tach when staging. I also personally don't like two steps as in my opinion it is not good for the motor which most guys running a brake are using. A brake is hard on parts also as in the rear and trans I know if both are built right its not a problem but it is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to one. I have also had friends telling me I should switch to a " Glide " for more consistency I would have to change my whole combo to do that that's not happening I like my 904s and have had very few problems with them in almost 35 years of using them then again I have a really good trans guy.... as said everybodys combo and situation is different this is just my opinion

F640669D-A19B-42E7-ABC6-4B24C7640186.jpeg

Consistency wins rounds.
It takes two things to be consistent at winning, the driver and the car.
The driver being the most important.

I have a brake in my car but rarely use it, honestly I haven't used it enough to be comfortable with it. The brake I have will work in first or second and I bought it for some of the less than stellar tracks I run some street car shoot out type stuff. It feels like a dump truck taking off in second but will still run 1.51 60'.

I've considered taking the brake out and installing the RMVB I ran before. This car is driven on the street and holding a button on the shifter makes backing up a challenge in some situations.

-
Back