For $ .08 per lb. I'll still do it

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
Denver like a lot of other places has a recycle program. Every other week I roll out the can with plastic, paper, alum. cans, tin cans, and the like. I have a pile of stuff out back. Old blocks, cracked heads, broken springs, etc. I am about ready to load it up and take it to a scrap yard. I called to check the price these days. 8 cents a pound for steel/iron mix. 50 cents a pound for alum. cans! I have a 5 gal. bucket in the garage next to the trash can and the recycle can. ANYTHING steel goes in the bucket. Broken bolts, old sawsall blades, scrap pieces of angle iron for bar, empty paint cans, and you name it. It may take a while to get a pound, but it's not going to sit in a landfill, it's no extra work to throw in there, and I couldn't turn down a little extra coin.
Mike

I used to work demo when I was in college. They would weigh the truck when we came in and then when we left. Well I ran about 295 so I would be in the truck when we weighed in but walk up to the weigh station on the way out. Bought us lunch with that lil extra many times.

In Cali,we get a 1.53-1.60 a lb.,for aluminum cans. Everyone runs around,collecting cans.

I save all my scrap iron from my garage. Then I just throw it in the implement dealer scrap bin to recycle rather than landfill. Don't have a scrap yard close.

I filled 2 55 gallon drums full of rotors at my shop took it to the scrape yard and it weighed 1500 lbs. and because it was short steel it payed a little over $300 now that is well worth the trip of a 100 miles to and from...Bill

I take scraps from bumpers I make for Cherokees to the scrap yard. Hell, any and everything metal I can't use. Some awful questionable characters at it though, often"scrapping" whole spools of wire, copper plumbing that's still wet, batteries from cars that have snipped ends etc.

One morning I went to our shop where we park our equipment and found our service truck had been broken into, they stole our concrete saw and used it to cut 24 aluminum ramps of the budget trucks that are parked there, no question they were scrapped somewhere.

Guess I'm not the only one. I have several 55 gallon drums on the side of the house that all the scrap metal goes in. About once a year I make a run to the recyclers . Last time I had 700 lbs . Nice to make a hundred dollars or so for stuff that I otherwise would have thrown out.

Here In NY they are going into car dealer at night and cutting the cat. convertors out of new cars and scrapping them, but they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed when they get to the scrap yard with 20-30 new cats they get caught and arrested. Grand larceny. Now thats Bright...Bill

I scrap and salvage all that I can. It's nice to pick up a few extra bucks now and then.

I give the steel away and keep the aluminum, one time it took three loads in my Ford Ranger to haul all the aluminum to the recycler. This was bike when I was buying crashed sport bikes and parting them out.......

-
Back