For a 1968 Barracuda notchback

-

Claudius

Reaction score
This thread is specifically directed to owners of 67-69 Barracudas with small block engines and headers.
My 0.040" oversized 318 has been converted to a 392 stroker and it produced 428 hp on the dyno. A column shift A-904 transmission (rebuilt) sits behind it.
I learned the hard way that basic Hooker headers do not fit. Yes, you can chuckle...
The TTI shorty are terribly expensive and mandate a mini starter. I would like to avoid these.
Do the Doug's D-453R fit while allowing a stock starter?
Alternatively, has anyone tried the cheaper shorty block huggers from DNA Racing? (My mechanic wants to use these.). If so, what size starter works?
Thanks for any help.

Don't know why you wouldn't want to use the mini starter , they are a much better unit that the old big ones , lighter , spin faster using less battery to do it and you will find out the hard way that headers and the old starter means being stranded when you shut it off in the summer and try to restart before everything under the hood has cooled down , but hey if thats what you want let me know when you have fried the one you have now and I will sell you my big starter I am no longer using .

I think the column shifter will give you fitment problems with many headers.

Do the TTI full length (or shorties), Dougs, or the China block huggers list they work with column?

If you are paying someone to install the headers don't get sucked into the Hedman shorties. They'll take a very good muffler shop to bend and design custom headpipes. That will cost you extra labor dollars at $75-100/hr.

Have long tube Hooker headers (5902) on my 340 in my 68 Cuda and have power steering and they fit. Its not a straight forward install (then again what header is on an A body especially the driver side) I didn't need to modify anything other then running the center link in between the tubes on the one header. Unless the hooker headers today are made or shaped different or made by a different supplier as I purchased my headers well over twenty years ago.

I should mention that I'm running floor shift (not column) with a 727.

I just bought a set of Doug's Headers. D453 (the ceramic coated ones) paid $500 on summit when they price matched autozone's 20% coupon code. I bought the 440 source mini starter for about $115 or so. I also bought an exhaust system and an H pipe. That's what 72BluNblu has on his duster (340 though) and it sounds great. I think he may not have the H pipe though. I just prefer the way an H pipe sounds. The H pipe sound really reminds me of the muscle cars from the 70's when I was a kid. I loved them.

I am running a 68 fastback with a 318. For a couple of years I have been wanting to bore it 0.040 and stroke it 4" for a 392 Wedge. It'll be cheaper since I don't have to swap a trans as well for the 400 I got out in the shed. How do you like it, and what heads and cam are you running? Did you buy a stroker kit, and if so where?

I am also running an a904 with column shift and power steering. I will be converting to floor shift with a B&M or Lokar kit and a manual steering box and column. Right now I am using a power steering box without the power steering pump, so you could say that I have the Armstrong Power Steering system in place.

Can you describe the issues you had with the hooker parts?

I have a /6 k-frame 67 barracuda with schumacher mounts and a 318 in it. hooker 1" 5/8 units with summit 2.5" exhaust. It was done before I got the car and it looks like there may have been a little pipe massaging to get it all in. Mostly with the 2.5" exhaust it looks like. Car is mini-starter, power steering, column shifted 727.

-
Back