For A Body Expert Only Dart Roof Removal

-

scottylack

Reaction score
I am removing the roof of a 65 dart to make a roadster...yes, a roadster. the roof is in awful shape, its slant 6 and the back window is smashed and dented all around.
I have the convertible windshield trim from a 65 convertible...both inside and outside pieces....
If I cut the roof down properly, will this trim fit the winshield frame of a hardtop...? Will these pieces screw on...???? I have the glass out , the hardtop trim off, and the roof has been cut down...

thanks.....

I'm thinking that it ought to fit. On a hardtop the roof was part of the structural rigidity. You probably should add frame connectors to help strengthen the chassis up.

I put frame connectors in. I am worried about the convertible trim fitting...is there a difference in the windshield frame of a hardtop and a convertible...???? can the hardtop be roof area be trimmed to fit the inner and outer convertible header pieces...?

I put frame connectors in. I am worried about the convertible trim fitting...is there a difference in the windshield frame of a hardtop and a convertible...???? can the hardtop be roof area be trimmed to fit the inner and outer convertible header pieces...?
I can't say for sure on your car but "most" convertibles have shorter roof lines than hardtop cars. The windshields are generally shorter to match. You may be able to cobble something together as it is hidden by the trim anyhow. The converts usually have a different header above the windshield too. Maybe someone with a 65/66 convert can take pics for you with no trim on so you can see what it looks like??

I've got mine torn apart and was able to get some picture of the top header and screw locations.. hope these help.

DSCF1385-640.jpg

DSCF1446-640.jpg

DSCF1447-640.jpg

DSCF1448-640.jpg

DSCF1449-640.jpg

DSCF1450-640.jpg

nice stuff ...thansk... well, are the windshields the same in convertible and hardtop??

Think there was extra bracing on the ragtops underneath like torque boxes or angle braces. The same would be true of the wagons.

I've re-skinned a roof and replaced one on A-bodies. If the underlying structure isn't dented, you can save yourself a lot of aggravation and structural integrity by re-skinning the roof. The donor car may also be able to provide a rear window and trim, too.

My 2¢ worth is to consider a re-skin before you decapitate the Dart.

nice stuff ...thansk... well, are the windshields the same in convertible and hardtop??

Called the glass shop I've used for buying windshields and they say hardtop & convertible are the same (as well as 2 doors sedans, 4 doors and wagons).

Keastab: Can you post some pics of the floor rails of that rag top if its a true rag top that is. Curious wheather or not if there is any more support than a hard top. We would all like to see the difference if there is any. Thanks

I'm not an expert on anything. I know a little about everything LOL
Windshield frames are fabricated ( several pieces welded together ).
Some of those pieces are shaped different for convertibles which makes them stronger. Basicly what is shaped like (_ and painted on a hardtop is shaped like Z_ and covered with trim on a vert.
This doesn't absolutely mean the vert trim wont fit over the hard top frame.
You may need to answer that question yourself.

Yeah I'll shoot some pic's of the underbody tommorow after work. but I can tell you that there are front and rear frame stiffeners.. aka torque boxes front and rear

hey Waggin, how far/much of that frame for the 64 do you have ? to the cowl? how's the cowl look? I really need to replace the cowl on mine.
BTW I'll try and call you and see if I can come on over this weekend and pick up the manifold for the /6

there is pretty much all of the frame left of the convertable,I'll be around all weekend,I think I'll be building some slanty exhaust manifolds this weekend,have two sets and ready to start cutting and welding em up,I'm getting low on slanty exhaust manifolds though, Lol.

Sorry about the dalay, I had to stay in Miami the night and was unable to get home in time to do anything. But here are the pic's of theconvertible's front and rear boxes. I checked the V8 convertible and it has the same boxes as the shown /6 car

DSCF1454-640.jpg

DSCF1453-640.jpg

DSCF1452-640.jpg

DSCF1451-640.jpg

Hey scotty,your mailbox is full,I have the frame boxed up and ready for you.

Hey your mailbox is still full, Lol 88$ paypal is [email protected] will send out a.s.a.p. trunk of my duster is full with that thing in there Lol!
P.S.i need your full name and address,all I have is 07750 zip code. Thank's

-
Back