For All The Unemployed!

-
Thanks, Ramcharger! I could tell how down in the dumps you were from some of your posts and I'm using your experience now to help me.
I'm not going to give up as I've seen some very interesting jobs listed in the past few weeks. I'm just hoping they're waiting until the start of the new year to start their interviewing process. Gotta be positive!!!

Thanks, Ramcharger! I could tell how down in the dumps you were from some of your posts and I'm using your experience now to help me.
I'm not going to give up as I've seen some very interesting jobs listed in the past few weeks. I'm just hoping they're waiting until the start of the new year to start their interviewing process. Gotta be positive!!!

You are 100% correct in that a positive attitude is mandatory! I'm sure you know how hard it is to keep that attitude after "x" months of rejection letters and emails. In my case it was 9 months till I filled out a W-2. I thought for sure I would be living in a "Van down by the river!". :toothy10:

It took over 200 resumes and trying to talk to the HR for the given company directly. I pestered the crap out of every contact number I could dig up through friends and the internet.

Personally, I haven't seen a lot of interesting job posting lately, and the one which are are fishing expeditions. That doesn't mean that I won't turn the corner one day. Just means it won't be the right now. Tomorrow? God it'll take care of it. I can only do with what He gives me for today.

9 years ago, I decided to give up on a 25 year career in electronics because the disposable goods mentality had made the electronic repair industry the blacksmiths of the 21'st century. I went to the railroads and I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a career change or anyone looking to start a promising career should take a look at this industry. I work for CN rail, which today is a multinational with rail lines across Canada and south thru the US to the Gulf. We own IC, WC, EJ&E as well as a few others. There are a lot of high profile investors lining up to buy railway stock these days and I can say with certainty that the railways will be hiring heavily in immediate future. Why, because hiring tapered off around 1975 and all those employees are set to retire within the next few years, leaving gaping holes in all levels of service and the industry is actively recruiting new and experienced people for a lot of good jobs. Try CN.CA and follow the career link.

30 years in my field and let go in November. Having a hard time finding work. Looking for something different then what I did. At 52 years old, I never expected this.

Keep your head held high Dartman as best as you can. I was cut loose in Dec 08 after a solid 24 years in the printing industry (graphics). I just turned around and became self employed. Any skills you could use to your advantage? The corporate/manufacturing world is gonna be alot different when it returns. Self employment will become more the norm for a lot of folks instead of the old hire and retire at the mercy of some "taxed to the max" private company.

Some industries will continue to thrive. If you're looking for something different, I hate to say it but Health Care is huge and will sustain continued growth into the future. Tons of job security in research, universities and labs. Then there is the communications / technologies field. It's a tired cliche but returning to school may be something to look into.

Look ahead, don't look behind. You're not alone.

Keep your head held high Dartman as best as you can. I was cut loose in Dec 08 after a solid 24 years in the printing industry (graphics). I just turned around and became self employed. Any skills you could use to your advantage? The corporate/manufacturing world is gonna be alot different when it returns. Self employment will become more the norm for a lot of folks instead of the old hire and retire at the mercy of some "taxed to the max" private company.

Some industries will continue to thrive. If you're looking for something different, I hate to say it but Health Care is huge and will sustain continued growth into the future. Tons of job security in research, universities and labs. Then there is the communications / technologies field. It's a tired cliche but returning to school may be something to look into.

Look ahead, don't look behind. You're not alone.
BigHook. Thanks for the encouragement. Self employment is one avenue I am looking at. Teaching is another. Happy New Year

SOOOOOOOOOO true, never give up.

I am the original lay off king. McDonnell Douglas 90-94 layed off, Boeing 95, 99 layed off, retrained, Microsoft Corp 2000, 2002 layed off, first Cingular 2003 layed off, Finally got a job a Verizon wireless, for 4 yrs, left for another position at the Cobalt Group.

Never Give Up, there is something out there for you.

-
Back