For anyone who likes good music.....

-

wish4hemi

Reaction score
Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra), Tom Petty, Prince, and Dhani Harrison (son of George Harrison) doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I'm generally not a Prince fan, but the guy can tear up a solo. Anybody know who the guy is playing the lead fills on the Strat, like from 0:30 to 0:34?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2tSGxGnJQ"]YouTube - The greatest guitar solo ever in High Quality[/ame]

That "Dhani" makes it look like his ol' man came through a hole in the space time continuum ..............Freaky ain't the word........

.......Like seein' a ghost !

Anybody know who the guy is playing the lead fills on the Strat, like from 0:30 to 0:34?

That is Mark Knopfler from the band Dire Straits. I have "The Concert for George" on two DVDs. Need to dig them out and watch them again.

Great tribute to the "quiet Beatle". RIP George.

Good version of the song but I can't say Prince played anything special. I'd like to hear that song with Knofler playing the lead instead of the fills. Then you'd really hear some playing. ;)

That is Mark Knopfler from the band Dire Straits.

Are you sure? It looks to me that he is using a pick and I always thought Mark Knopfler was strictly a finger picker. He does bear some resemblance though. I had initially thought is was Knopfler, but the pick really threw me off.

are you kidding me prince killed that solo , great playing by everyone in my opinion

Are you sure?

No, I'm not sure of anything!! lol

I did some research and that performance is from the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. Lots of other versions posted but nobody lists who that guy is?!?!

WOW, for a great version of that song. I thought Prince did a great job on that song. George's son looks just like him when He was young.

are you kidding me prince killed that solo , great playing by everyone in my opinion

Yeah, many people are surprised at his playing ability. His stage presence and "showmanship" sort of turn many off to him. I worked logistics at one of his concerts in Atlanta back in the 80's, and while his show was mostly funk, during the rehearsal and sound check, he would jam with some of the other cats, and he's really an excellent rock, and blues guitarist. If anyone has seen his old movie Purple Rain, you got to see him play some really good solo licks at the end of the movie while performing the title song. That same song done live is even better.
He could have easily been an outstanding rock guitarist, also. He's definitely a showman, too.

Wow!
Prince sure plays a lot like Jimi Hendrix.
He just needs longer hair. Too bad he's not left handed then it would be perfect.
George Harrison's son is a chip off the old block. He really looks a lot like him when he was his age.
Great vid, thanks for sharing.

Most Excellent!!
Prince tore that solo up!
I give him and the song a 10.5.=D>

nice, prince is an artist by all means.
I like the way he semi casually tossed his guitar at the end.

a snipit from the wiki
"
He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, the first year he was eligible.[7]
In that same year Rolling Stone ranked Prince #28 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.
"

That was beautiful. I agree, not a fan of Prince, but his guitar playing is incredible. I thought that mystery guy was Mark Knopfler too. Could be wrong though...thanks for posting that, great vid and song!

I didn't say Prince sounded bad. It's just that what he played wasn't that technically difficult, but what do I know. I've only been playing for 38 years. ;)

The mystery guitar player is Marc Mann. He plays with Jeff Lynne and played with ELO. He also sometimes played with Oingo Boingo. He also plays keyboards. As for Prince. I'm not a fan but he does play a mean guitar. I thoroughly enjoyed his solo. Dhanni does look like his Dad, but if you want to get really freaked out you need to see him in The Concert For George. He is a clone of his Dad in that one for sure. It's also an awesome concert to watch.

I didn't say Prince sounded bad. It's just that what he played wasn't that technically difficult, but what do I know. I've only been playing for 38 years.;)

Not trying to start an argument, but I think you might have missed the point.
Playing what the song needs, and playing for the purpose of technique are two different things. We've all heard guitarists play things that were technically outstanding, but not necessarily in keeping with the heart and feel of the song. In this case, Prince's licks were so good, because they didn't detract from the song's mood.

I think you'll agree that had he done one of his funk riffs there, it would have ruined what was happening. Another way of looking at it, is a guitarist like Tony Iommi (also not a technically difficult player) would have been totally out of place using his BS style of power riffs in such a moving and soulful number as "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", where as Eric Clapton's style would have fit right in with the feel of the moment.

Sometimes the difference between taste and technical difficulty makes the difference in the performance. IMO, that's exactly what took place in that video.

But, what do I know, I've only been playing for 47 years. ;) lol

I didn't say Prince sounded bad. It's just that what he played wasn't that technically difficult, but what do I know. I've only been playing for 38 years. ;)

Also not to start an arguement, but if you've been playing 38 years, you'll have no trouble posting up a video of what you can do in comparison. I've been playing almost as long as you and thought it was pretty awesome myself....and I have never been a Prince fan....however, I knew he was an excellent guitarist because I have heard other examples of his work. ...and before you tell me to man up and post, here is an example of my forte. Acoustic slide blues.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/Geardrivensteam/?action=view&current=dammitall.mp4

-
Back