For anyone who likes good music.....

-
When I saw that on dvd thats what I thought best guitar solo ever. Even Tom Petty was enjoying this most unlikely character Prince,Thanks Kevin.=D>

Not trying to start an argument, but I think you might have missed the point.
Playing what the song needs, and playing for the purpose of technique are two different things. We've all heard guitarists play things that were technically outstanding, but not necessarily in keeping with the heart and feel of the song. In this case, Prince's licks were so good, because they didn't detract from the song's mood.

I think you'll agree that had he done one of his funk riffs there, it would have ruined what was happening. Another way of looking at it, is a guitarist like Tony Iommi (also not a technically difficult player) would have been totally out of place using his BS style of power riffs in such a moving and soulful number as "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", where as Eric Clapton's style would have fit right in with the feel of the moment.

Sometimes the difference between taste and technical difficulty makes the difference in the performance. IMO, that's exactly what took place in that video.

But, what do I know, I've only been playing for 47 years. ;) lol

I hear what you're saying Frankie and pretty much agree with what you said. Perhaps I made a poor choice in my wording. Princes solo was ok in my book but I sure as heck wouldn't call it earthshattering like a few folks seem to think.

"Also not to start an arguement, but if you've been playing 38 years, you'll have no trouble posting up a video of what you can do in comparison. I've been playing almost as long as you and thought it was pretty awesome myself....and I have never been a Prince fan....however, I knew he was an excellent guitarist because I have heard other examples of his work. ...and before you tell me to man up and post, here is an example of my forte. Acoustic slide blues."

That's some good slide work Scamp. The sound on your vid was about 2 seconds behind the pics but I get the idea. It's probably the fault of my slow ISP though. I wish I did have a vid I could put up here but I don't own a camera but you have given me some inspiration to get my guitars out of the case and see if I can get my hands on a camera. I'm not shy, I ain't no SRV or Clapton but I can hold my own. It's something I've been wanting to do lately anyways before I get too old to do it anymore.

Princes solo was ok in my book but I sure as heck wouldn't call it earthshattering like a few folks seem to think.

I would agree it's not earthshattering, but it was certainly very enjoyable and well done. The solo itself didn't catch me by surprise as much as who was playing the solo, which is what I was wanting to point out for anyone who had completely disregarded Prince's work.

My musical standing is meek at best. I played piano for 10 years, got tired of reading music, and picked up an acoustic about 2 years ago. Then, due to watching too many live Rolling Stones performances on YouTube, I got a Keith Richards-ish '72 Telecaster Custom reissue about a year ago.

I hear what you're saying Frankie and pretty much agree with what you said. Perhaps I made a poor choice in my wording. Princes solo was ok in my book but I sure as heck wouldn't call it earthshattering like a few folks seem to think.

Bingo! And thanks for accepting my comments in the spirit in which they were meant. :thumblef:

The mystery guitar player is Marc Mann.

Thanks for clearing that up! I looked for almost an hour yesterday trying to figure that out. :banghead:

Nice save Frankie and 55. I was afraid this thread was going to turn into another FABO pissing match.

I'm a music lover,can't play any instruments,but love all types of music.I thought the Prince solo was great! Hate to see it getting picked apart instead of just being enjoyed. I grew up with the Beatles and their music was a big part of my life.Doesn't he look like a chip off the old block!:rock:

I'm a music lover,can't play any instruments,but love all types of music.I thought the Prince solo was great! Hate to see it getting picked apart instead of just being enjoyed. I grew up with the Beatles and their music was a big part of my life.Doesn't he look like a chip off the old block!:rock:

I grew up with them, too, and you're spot on. He looks just like his father back in the early 60's at the Cavern, and on the German tours. The resemblance is uncanny.

-
Back