for anyone with a vibration,read

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
ive chased a drivetrain issue for years.starts at 40 mph with a harmonic pulsating vibration and the faster you go the worse it got.i though i had it fixed a few times,but always came back.i tried several times with tire balance,new tailshaft bushing,new driveshaft from mancinni,re balanced by local shop,3rd member gone through.pinion angle at every possible angle,no change.i was ready to buy a new shaft from supershaft here on fabo ,but i found a 40 year old shaft in my parts tucked away in the corner of my garage,put it in for ***** and giggles.quess what, smooth.so anyone that has a simular issue,just because you buy a new driveshaft,dont mean its right.it pissed me off after all these years chasing this for it to be this.40 year old factory shaft as smooth as glass.

did you ever independently change the U joints on the new shaft? that would have been my first crack at it.
If the new shaft was that far out of balance, or round...you'd think the local shop would have found it?

did you ever independently change the U joints on the new shaft? that would have been my first crack at it.
If the new shaft was that far out of balance, or round...you'd think the local shop would have found it?

shouldnt have to change NEW joints out of a NEW shaft....

shouldnt have to change NEW joints out of a NEW shaft....

Just like he shouldn't have to revert to scrapping the brand new shaft entirely and pulling an old rusty one out of the weeds to correct the issue?

Or just like a brand new driveshaft that i'm assuming he paid good $ for, shouldn't have to go back to the balance shop...and still end up getting tossed in favor of the stocker?

I'm Confused :???: lol

not trying to be a smartass, but in my experience, "new" doesn't necessarily mean a zero defect, 100% correct part...especially an $8 china U-joint.

It only takes a relatively small dent in a drive shaft to cause a vibration so insignificant that it can be hard to find without careful inspection. I'm glad you finally found your problem, vibrations like electrical issues can drive you around the bend.

My car had a pretty bad vibration from the driveline when I got it, and one day I remembered the guy (really young) I bought it from said he put new ujoints in it recently.
Well, it occurred to me that he may not have known about line and yoke indexing so I pulled the driveline and swaped the front yoke 180 degrees and guess what. :D

Fought driveshaft issues in my Malibu as well this past racing season - shop that did the work kept telling me it was my car, not their work. Very minor vibration mind you but it was enough to crack a bellhousing after 11 passes after having it in and out twice to be rebalanced. Shop wouldn't stand behind their product because it was a "racecar" so they no longer do any work for me. Ordered a new shaft from Wiles in Tennessee - smooth as glass.

View attachment IMG_9655.jpg

yes twice

just got home from a run,this is the first time ever ive been able to bury the speedometer.you cant imagine how happy i am.

My car had a pretty bad vibration from the driveline when I got it, and one day I remembered the guy (really young) I bought it from said he put new ujoints in it recently.
Well, it occurred to me that he may not have known about line and yoke indexing so I pulled the driveline and swaped the front yoke 180 degrees and guess what. :D

yea i know about that,but a new built shaft it should not come into play

-
Back