For Body Shop Gurus

-

soul60s

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first ever attempt to do any body work. I am now removing paint. Basically, I used a chemical to remove it and what didn't remove, I am sanding. I am almost done with the outside driver door and am working ont he rocker panel. Surprisingly, there is very little bondo or rust. I am doing a 68 barracuda fastback.

Anyhow, how important is it to remove every inkling of primer? There is a top layer of blue paint, a (I think) white layer of primer or paint, a layer of sliver paint and a red (brick) primer on the bare metal. I have a few little spots of red primer left but it is very thin and flat. Should ALL of it come off? The panel is sanded smooth.

Also, old bondo, should it be removed and replaced with new bondo or just sanded smooth?

So far I am surprised at how I am doing since I have never done this before. Looks pretty good.

Is there a spray on chemical to remove paint? We can't afford a full snadblasting at a shop so we are removing what we can and I was just wondering about the inside of the door under the interior panels. LOTS of little areas so sanding would be very difficult. Should I do all that I can and then have it sandblasted for the rest, attempt to do it myself (have no clue if the store bought machines are very good), or what to get the nooks and crannies?

I know I can learn sandblasting too and have a lot to practice on. Just don't know what the best way is.

Joanne

I'm going through the same thing right now: www.rhphoto.com/1970_dodge_dart

I decided that everything I can reach will go down to bare metal before I shoot it with epoxy primer. I'm going from the advice of a good friend who has been doing high end muscle car restorations for 20 years.

If you're into it this far, you might as well go all the way down. Why leave old bondo in place? I know I would always be worried about something causing my new paint job to lift, or crack.

I haven't got to the inside of my doors yet. I have heard of people setting up a pump and a tray so they can cycle rust remover through the bottom of the door. They run it until all the rust has been dissolved then they flush it with a garden hose.

I don't know if I'm going to go to that extent as the rust in my doors looks very minor. I plan on scuffing off the loose rust then hitting it with Eastwood Rust Converter. After that, a coat of their Heavy Duty Rust Treatment which from what I understand is a petroleum based undercoating type gunk... should do a good job of keeping any moisture from hitting the affected area.

The inner door structure hasn't seen a sealer or wax build up. Todays paints have bonding agents included. Prep chemicals are available as well but clean and grease free is the secret. Air flow will take paint right off a part like door hindges if they aren't properly preped.
The most important parts are the parts you look at, the painted portion of the doors that isn't covered by the panel and the hood ofcourse.
Thing is , there are places inside a door structure that have never seen paint. A sandblaster wont get there either. I'll spend a can of Rustoleum rust reformer inside a cleaned door and hope for the best.

-
Back