For the motorcycle guys. Oil leak on R1

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
Started my 2000 YZF-R1 wednesday for the first time this year. Upon starting it, oil started pouring out of the oil filter. whole crankcase within about a minute. I changed the oil and put a new filter on and started it up again... same thing. Oil everywhere. Yesterday i brought home some cheap bulk oil and brake cleaner, unscrewed and rescrewed on the oil filter to check for tears in the gasket, cleaned off all the oil, topped off the oil and cranked it over, no leak, started it and revved it. still no leak. changed the oil and filter again to good oil and no leak. Anyone know what might be the issue? The only thing i can think of is something plugging up the oil system and causing pressure buildup at the oil filter.

no, just poured out of the gasket, and i made sure it was tight. it was fine all summer too with the first filter that was on it.

I have had dozens of sport bikes and never had an issue like this. It sounds like you got some bad filters or you didn't happen to notice a filter gasket was stuck to the bottom of the motor when you screwed on a new filter.

No... neither. the first time it happened was with the filter i ran all last summer with. I made damn sure I didn't double gasket it with the new one too. I dunno, not a big deal, its not leaking now. Just worries me that something might happen again.

Never heard of such a thing unless, like it was said before, it was double gasketed or some foreign material got on the sealing surface. Is it possible a local rug rat dumped something into your oil?

If it's not leaking now and you have good oil pressure, don't worry about it.

-
Back