For those who like to clean and reuse their old spark plugs

-
Interesting. Though I’ll point out that the products tested are not being used as intended. In the combustion chamber on a running engine.

maybe a few wipes with a toothbrush on each. The 44K looks to be a pretty good soaker but its $$$. Compare them all to a small amount of free water introduced at a high idle, steam cleaned chambers!

My buddys dad used to have a mini sand blaster mounted to his work bench, made just to clean spark plugs.

You guys remember those?

My buddys dad used to have a mini sand blaster mounted to his work bench, made just to clean spark plugs.

You guys remember those?
I bought one last summer for outboards, tho I haven't used it much "yet." I have yet to find a very cheap source of abrasive. Old two strokes are hard on plugs

Not sure I would have bothered wasting time on a weak mix of Marvel oil for baked on plug residue. I've tried dip carb cleaner and acetone and was disappointed with results. I've forgotten, I soaked several plugs for at least a couple days

Yah don't throw'm out when they're 50 bucks a plug. Clean, gap and test under pressure to make sure they spark when loaded..
djkcyl3runninghotchtinspection 010.JPG

Last edited:
I have blasted old plugs for years, I only buy a new set if I have to change heat-ranges.
I remember one time, pulled the plugs on an old slant pickup I had, the gap miced out at .120, i just stuck it back in the engine, it still ran fine.
A few weeks later the ceramic part blew out going out a long hill pull.

Had a couple harbor freight spark plug cleaners over the years when we had a lot of jet skis. They worked great for the two cycle spark plugs.

My plugs get cleaned every time I take my car out for a drive; how else can they have gone so many many miles, seasons, and years........ Oh wait, maybe the Accell SuperCoil has something to do with it. Well, maybe that and, that I run the engine a tad rich, on 87E10, you know; the alcoholized crap that everyone likes to malign..
The last time they came out was in winter of 2004/2005, at the last freshening; never chemically cleaned nor regapped. I'm pretty sure those Champion Coppers were first installed in 1999, at the first assembly.
Your results may vary,lol.

There is no-way I would SANDblast my plugs to re-install in my HotRod. What if the sand doesn't all come out, by air-blast? Can that sand damage my engine? I mean IDK. But, do I really want to take that chance.

Last edited:
No better way for someone to drop grit in their motor. Had to replace a customer sea doo motor cause it went down the transfer ports and got into the crank bearings.

Plugs are still cheap, so I won't be.

Besides, most ngk's I've replaced were fuel fouled, and the porcelain itself was compromised.

My plugs get cleaned every time I take my car out for a drive; how else can they have gone so many many miles, seasons, and years........ Oh wait, maybe the Accell SuperCoil has something to do with it. Well, maybe that and, that I run the engine a tad rich, on 87E10, you know; the alcoholized crap that everyone likes to malign..
The last time they came out was in winter of 2004/2005, at the last freshening; never chemically cleaned nor regapped. I'm pretty sure those Champion Coppers were first installed in 1999, at the first assembly.
Your results may vary,lol.

That E10 WILL make you sad one day.

Id be curious to look in your float bowl. Id bet it is full of rubber. Every soft line you have running that through is slowly disintegrating.

In anything but a perfect climate it picks up water instantly. (Its picking up water before it gets in your car.) That water rusts out your gas tank.

Just wait. I will be here to say I told you so.

:lol::poke::poke:

No better way for someone to drop grit in their motor. Had to replace a customer sea doo motor cause it went down the transfer ports and got into the crank bearings.

Plugs are still cheap, so I won't be.

Besides, most ngk's I've replaced were fuel fouled, and the porcelain itself was compromised.

If someone is too dumb to blow them out after cleaning, that is a different problem….

Last edited:
If someone is to dumb to blow them out after cleaning, that is a different problem….

You say that, but I've seen plenty of grit shoved in against the insulator and blowing them out didn't do much to get it loose.

You say that, but I've seen plenty of grit shoved in against the insulator and blowing them out didn't do much to get it loose.

So, do we get rid of every tool that someone can’t operate properly?

-
Back